Good balance of protein, fats etc?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
Hi.

I try to get out twice per week on the bike, and I also keep myself relatively fit (turbotrainer, pull-ups, push-ups etc.). I used to cycle every day, but since my place of work relocated, it hasn't been possible to continue with that.

I eat well in the week; fish, salad, vegetables and fruit, but that is all I tend to eat and I have to admit I don't vary my diet as much as I should. As I am not on the bike as much I used to be, I have put on a little weight in the last couple of years (approx. 7lb) since the reduction in daily cycling. I'm 5' 6" and weigh approx. 9.10lb. My strength is climbing hills, which I am pretty good at, so I know that my fitness is good for my age (42), and most people I ride with can't keep up with me on the climbs (although my DH leaves a lot to be desired). :oops:

I have worked hard over the last few years to lose weight, and keep it off, but I am one of those people who puts on weight really easily, and I now think that my body has become accustomed to my diet and is now storing fat. I know that my diet is limited (I do relax a little on the weekends though), and I'm looking for advice on how to vary my diet while at the same time eat healthily and lose a few pounds (I need to burn some fat). I've heard that 1gram of protein per 1lb body weight per day is the way to go regarding protein intake?

I'll never be really 'lean' because it's just the way I am, but I know that I am capable of having a little less fat than I currently have. Any sugestions regarding daily protein, fats intake, and what type of food to eat etc?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    I'm no diet expert, but I was wondering if you are pushing yourself on your exercise. What i'm trying to say is if you do the same (non-bike) exercise, at the same level, week in and out, then it could be that your body has got used to it?

Perhaps try doing some different exercise, or pusing harder? For example, I can go on the bike for ages, but swimming I find tough, because I do it less often...

I'm sure someone with far more knowledge will be along soon...
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    You weigh 9 stone and are 5 ft 6?? Man thats damn light for your height mate! I weigh 11 stone and and 5ft 7 and have a BMI which is fine. Sure I could trim a few inches off the belly but the last time I was 9 stone I was in my twenties!

I understand that one of the reasons we put on weight as we get older is we tend to have less muscle that when we were younger and therefore have a lower metabolism and require less calories. So you could either eat less or build more muscle.

I can't help but think that at that weight how is it possible to have any excess fat?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to be 9 stone at 6ft!
  • I can give you general rules of thumb if you like...

You've almost got the protein intake part right. 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. So you need to work out your % bodyfat and deduct that from your weight to give you your protein requirements.

Protein - look for complete proteins with all the essential amino acids
    Carbs - stay in the low gi range
    Fat - eat only good fats like olive oil, oily fish, flaxseed oil.

General ratios for calorific intake from the world of bodybuilding when the goal is to lose fat without muscle also is 55% carbs, 30% protein and 15% fat. Unfortunately I dont know whats advised in the world of cycling yet.

Take 6 meals a day.
    Make sure you take protein every 3-4 hours so you dont lose muscle mass. Tho' its now possible to buy slow release 6 hour protein supplements.

And if you've reached a plateau, shocking your body with a different type of exercise helps. e.g change to long endurance cycles for a week and/or increase the weights you do.

Hope thats the sort of thing you were after.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Thanks for all the help.

I weigh approx. 9st 10lbs nowadays, and to say I eat very little carbs during the week (I have my oats in the morning...ooer!), I always seem to have plenty of energy for the bike rides.

I hear what everyone is saying, ang I've thought about changing my bike routine. Usually, my ride is at least 16 miles, and I like to climb the hills as much as I can, but I have been wondering if I should do something a little shorter in length and more intense.

Up until the last year, I used to work out regularly approx. 3 times a week with weights etc. (although nothing too extreme), and it is something I probably need to start again to compliment my bike and pull-ups etc.

Even though I eat healthily, I realise that I don't vary my diet enough, and I only have three relatively small meals per day - breakfast, dinner and tea, with apples and bananas in between (at least. 4 apples and bananas per day).

I don't seem to eat as much chicken as I used to, which is something I trying to do more of now.

Again, thanks for the help and advice...greatly appreciated!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super