http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... yres-21793
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I got seduced by them on Wiggle and splurged on a set. Pump 'em up to 140psi and they stick to the road like sh*t to a blanket!! Mine have no bulges so it looks like they're okay for a few miles yet...
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Gah! The ones I just accidentally bought are going to be spares for quite a few miles yet! What is the casing layer - not even sure where I should be looking for a bulge...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    biondino wrote:
    Gah! The ones I just accidentally bought are going to be spares for quite a few miles yet! What is the casing layer - not even sure where I should be looking for a bulge...

i'd imagine it would be easy enought to spot, the lugano's which i had on until recently had started to ever so slightly bulge over on large slit hard to see but you could feel, you might get away with keeping a eye on them? on the other hand you do need to trust your bike and thus the tires...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    There has been a lot of debate on this on the weight weenies website. You'll see the tyre bulge in the middle and if riding you'll feel it.

I just bought a set :lol:
  • biondino
    My old Ultremos started bulging where they were badly cut, but that was after 2000 miles so no worries there.
  • Free tyres -If you own some, i don't think you have to send a reciept just two photos,is that correct?

Photo of the tyre number inside. Photo the tyre and a bit of photoshop to create the bulge effect, send off info = free tyres. Not that i recomend you do that..

Might go tyre shopping with my camera at lunch time....
  • biondino
    I'll put the Ultremos on the fixie I think. Anyone a big fan of Bonty Race Lites who might want to buy mine off me? Done less than 100 miles!
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    The parts they are talking about are the layers of fabric inside the tyre. It sounds like they aren't bonded together properly and may separate in use.

As you have to use the tyres to provoke them to fail, you will have to fit them to find out if yours are duff or not, and there's no way to tell otherwise.

This doesn't sound that safe to me, if the casing comes apart the whole tyre could blow out... I'd pump them up to just over max pressure and leave them a couple of days before riding.

Still, it's good to see a company admitting there's a problem and sorting it. Although I do think it's a bit much to ask you to ride a tyre that may fail....
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just went out for a ride on a brand new set of Ultremo R's. Rear wheel exploded less than 10 miles in. Didn't even get a chance for them to 'bulge'.

Now I've got to see if I can get it replaced. Might be difficult...
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    The tyre exploded? I'm really surprised they aren't just recalling them all no questions asked. Just glad it wasn't your front!
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Nothing on the Schwalbe UK website, but there is on the North American website. Which is helpful. http://www.schwalbetires.com/
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Well - it wasn't shredded off the rim or anything, but was left with a big enough hole that the new tube I put in was poking out. That one blew up 5 minutes later leaving me a long way from home with no spare tubes. Had to take a taxi. :twisted:

Have emailed Schwalbe and will see what they say about getting it replaced. Only worry now is that I have no faith in the tyres - and am wondering if the same thing might happen to the front. I was lucky I was going reasonably slowly and in a straight line!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Only bought a pair last week I'm dreading if this happens.

Agree faith in the tyre is not good and for longer rides I think I'll stick my old Pro2s on.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I think it would be wise to report this to the Consumers Association, which could then force Schwalbe to recall the product.

I was tempted to buy a set, but then saw the horror stories on several forums (including the italian bdc-forum.it) and decided against.
    I now have a set of GP4000S which will hopefully be more reliable.