RPCC Ride - Sat 30th / Sun 31st

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Back to normality this week folks - no 200km+ epics planned this weekend! :wink::lol:

I'm going for a Saturday 9am start but won't be out for long as I'm off to Twickenham on Sat for the England Vs Baa Baas game so will need to be back sometime around 1pm... and Sunday is likely to be a write-off for me as a consequence! :roll: :lol:

I might be tempted by an 8am start if anyone fancies that though? :?

So, as ever, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am start is most likely,
although keep an eye out as earlier starts seem to be happening now
:arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building
:arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
As ever I'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! We seem to have seen a new face almost every week so it'd be good if that continued! :D

A collection point at Hampton Court will most likely be on the cards as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you plan to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out.

So, who is about this weekend and when? :shock: 8) :D

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Am in although umming whether to do the SWRC Mayflyer as a final prep for the Fray. However that will eat up my Sunday so may do the RPCC ride instead. However will decide by Wednesday

Am in favour for an 8am start Rich, only so we can add in a couple of extra hills before BH? Although I know the early start may put certain guys under stress...Mr Strang was well and truly warmed up last Saturday after his sprint from home :)

However am easy and can go with the flow with the traditional 9am kick off :)
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Berns12 wrote:
    Although I know the early start may put certain guys under stress..
    True :oops: Although, not last to turn up :P . How's about an all out assault on Box Hill, maybe chuck in Leith and Ranmore for the return?
    8.30 start might be wise...
  • Rich-Ti
    8:30 sounds like a good compromise - let's go with that 8)

Box Hill assault + Leith & Ranmore suits me Al :twisted:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mookie
    mookie Posts: 29
    I'm on for it. Specially as the start is but 5km from home. Can live with 8.30am.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    So are you proposing a 'clockwiseish' route? BH first, then some other hills...

What about this route? Something familiar in terms of Hills, but with the bonus of BH to be done on fresh legs. Al wants a sub 6.30 up BH (well we all want a sub 6.30 but anyway!)
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=53090

Anyway - that route is 65 miles, 1200 metres climbing
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Berns12
    felgen wrote:
    So are you proposing a 'clockwiseish' route? BH first, then some other hills...

What about this route? Something familiar in terms of Hills, but with the bonus of BH to be done on fresh legs. Al wants a sub 6.30 up BH (well we all want a sub 6.30 but anyway!)

Nice one James, are you coming out this weekend?

After seeing the Fray Bentos recce video last night, I am favour for something different to train for the unknown, although I would not mind doing all the additional hills (eg: Ranmore) and finishing up at BH for our usual tea and cake reward before heading home. Does that work? or am i just talking crap?
  • Esoteric80
    Esoteric80 Posts: 84
    Looking good for this weekend.

Keen to join you guys for a ride!
    :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:

I did that route out to BH last night - quite a nice little 'leg cooler' after Epsom winding round to the bottom of BH and gets the heart rate nice and low before you 'give it beans' up the hill. Was thinking along exactly the same lines in terms of the rest of the route so I'm up for that 8)
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I did that route out to BH last night
    Sneaky... 8)
    I am off out for a quick Surrey Hills jaunt this arvo/evening.
    *goes off to check the BH thread to see if Rich posted a time*

I have to say I love coming down Juniper Hill, very scenic and quiet and not many cars, and it really rests the legs before the hooning begins.

*edit* nice effort on BH Rich!!!
    Esoteric80 wrote:
    Looking good for this weekend.

Keen to join you guys for a ride!
    Wow - registered since 2005, and chooses the RP thread to make their first post! Such is the draw, such is the draw.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I did that route out to BH last night
    Sneaky... 8)
    I am off out for a quick Surrey Hills jaunt this arvo/evening.

*edit* nice effort on BH Rich!!!
    Cheers mate! If my legs weren't so shot from that I'd have joined you this arvo as I've taken the afternoon off again! :roll:
  • DomLuck
    DomLuck Posts: 9
    Will probably join you but may cut it short as I'm doing the Haslemere 100 mile ride on Sunday.
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Is there even a point in me responding these days :roll: I'm in 8)

The long grazed legged one
  • Rich-Ti
    If tomorrow is anything like today it's going to be GLORIOUS!! 8) :D

Don't forget the sunscreen folks! :roll: :lol:
  • felgen
    No can make it for me again - I have the on call pager at work, so will be busy until about 10am, missing the start
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    I cant make it either. Still really crook, so may go out for a short ride if I feel up to it, but rest is more important.

Enjoy the warm weather.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Berns12
    Myk-ee wrote:
    I cant make it either. Still really crook, so may go out for a short ride if I feel up to it, but rest is more important.

Enjoy the warm weather.

Still the stomach bug? Get well soon.

I am in for tomorrow fellas see you then. Have we agreed 8.30? What is the current RC? I am counting

Rich
    Emu
    Art
    Dom
    Esoteric
    Me

I have texted Big Mig so hopefully that will make it 7.
  • Rich-Ti
    Yes Bern, 8:30 @ Richmond Gate 8)

Anyone need a Hampton Court collection point? Chris, are you watching from afar and not committing?...!! :wink::lol:
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    I might be interested in coming along tomorrow morning also. Depends what time I get out of our datacentre tonight... 8:30 at Richmond Gate?
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Rich-Ti
    jrduquemin wrote:
    I might be interested in coming along tomorrow morning also. Depends what time I get out of our datacentre tonight... 8:30 at Richmond Gate?
    Do come along - 8:30am it is indeed 8)
  • cc10
    cc10 Posts: 38
    MIght come join for part of the way if thats ok, have to race in the afternoon but the weather looks too good to miss and bike has been gathering alot of dust recently:oops:
  • Rich-Ti
    cc10 wrote:
    MIght come join for part of the way if thats ok, have to race in the afternoon but the weather looks too good to miss and bike has been gathering alot of dust recently:oops:
    More than welcome Helen! See you in the morning 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    Sorry about this morning folks - poor show to turn up late just to tell you I wasn't riding :roll: :oops:

My bike felt awful this morning though - have made a couple of minor changes this week which meant that the gears were way out, my headset was loose (but tightening it even a fraction made it too tight :roll: ) and my levers were in the wrong position. That'll teach me for not giving it a proper test eh?! :oops: :lol:

In the end I copped a strop and went and gave the RS in Sigma a bit of a run... and now my head's all over the place! It rode well but it's opened up a whole new school of thought for me so my head is swimming! :roll: :lol:
  • jrduquemin
    You missed a good ride today Rich, sorry you couldn't make it in the end. You thinking of getting a new bike now? ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Esoteric80
    Esoteric80 Posts: 84
    Cheers again for the ride today guys.

Will be seeing you again.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    All intentions of a nice short ride seemed to go out the window - it felt like we did every hill in Surrey yesterday :oops: Club run today had me struggling up Titsey Hill in my lowest gear :(
    'Nuff respect for CC10 for doing a rowing competition straight after Saturday's run - I almost fell asleep when I got in!
  • jrduquemin
    Tell me about it Al, I was fried when I got back. And that wasn't just because it was hot out. I really struggled to get back on the end of the train after we got split up by the old bat on the roundabout too. Looking forward to getting out again this coming weekend with you guys :-)

Helen, how did you get on in the race? I figured a 120k ride would have been an adequate warm up :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • cc10
    cc10 Posts: 38
    yep fab day for it although we did seem to spend alot of time going up hill!!! Cheers for all the waiting at the top :oops: was getting a tad worried about what mght be left in the legs for later. But turns out I must have been slacking cos all was good :D Only got a half hour turnaround at the other end but its amazing what a bit of pasta can do!!

Feeling it today though :shock:
  • jrduquemin
    You might be a bit quicker up the hills next time you're out then? :)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66