4X beginner

brocky
brocky Posts: 104
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Hi all.Im riding an 08 specialized hardrock(the overbuilt one not the new curvy one) with avid BB5's and a few small upgrades like pedals and wheels.I quite fancy a go at 4x racing but i dont really know if it would be any good for me on this bike.
Can i race it or shall i look at new bikes.(bearing in mind im 6"2 and still growing and im not really suited to DJ bikes)

Comments

• cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    a 4x bike, in size large/xlarge? they have sizes for reasons.
  • brocky
    ta mate but i dont really want to spend that much because ive never raced 4x before.I just wana know if i can race it on the bike i have really.
  • cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    you can, dont let anyone tell you that you cant do anything because your bike isnt up to it, guys used to race downhill on hardtails. alternatively, if you want more speed you could borrow from a friend?
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I race 4x on my Hardrock at Chicksands - its works fine. Not had any major damage / mechanicals yet apart from a spent BB but that will happen anyway after a while. Just keep pedalling!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • brocky
    ta guys.I raceddownhill on it in wentwood and i want to do downhill and 4x if i can.I just found 4x a bit of a laugh compared to downhill when i did it with my mates the other day:)

Nonnac85 its nice to know you did it on the same bike and ive not long had a new bb put in and im might upgrade my forks aswell.What would anybody recomennd for starting out at 4x and id prefer to get them used.Any ideas as what i should look for guys?
  • nonnac85
    Rockshox Argyles usually get recommended for 4X. If you get second hand make sure all the seals are ok and that the steerer (if cut) is still long enough for your bike.
  • brocky
    Cheers mate.Are those the forks your running at the moment?
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    You're gonna need a 20mm front hub also. And probably new spokes.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    If you get new forks something with tavel adjust , like u-turn would be a good idea, becouse you can run them short for the 4x and still have decent length forks for normal riding
    I like bikes and stuff
  • brocky
    What does 20mm hub require then?is it a conversion thing or a whole new hub.All i know is that ive got QR on it at the moment.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    What front hub do you have? Some can be converted to 20mm, some can't.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • brocky
    im running a specialized stout i think.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Not convertible I don't think.

If you want to run a 20mm axle you'll have to get a new hub.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • brocky
    ok cheers man.Is it really important to have a 20mm hub and axle for 4x?
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    not really but it helps cornering and stiffens it up
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think the 20mm hub was recommended as thats the only hub thats compatible with the Argyles. I don't think they have a normal QR version. I may be mistaken tho?
  • xtreem
    For QR fork go Tora 302. It has plenty of strenght.
    But what's your curent one?
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    the society xeno are a well rated 4x fork and they come in either 20mm thru or standard qr and theyre pretty cheap as well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19405
    who cares?
  • nonnac85
    quote]Cheers mate.Are those the forks your running at the moment?

[/quote]

No - I wish I did. At the mo I have marz DJ2 while I am building up a bike and swapping bits about / saving money!!
  • brocky
    haha.At the moment im riding suntours that ive buggered up and theyve gone all flimsy:PIm pretty sure ill change them tho.I looked at toras they look pretty sound.
    Other thing is i just want to try 4x so i dont wanna go and spend loads on specific 4x bits and then do something else on a bike like downhill and stuff.

1 more question.What are kona howlers like for 4x?And could i ride them downhill aswell?Just saw one a a pretty good price.
  • xtreem
    Looks good to me, you can do pretty much everithing on that bike.