53 mile hilly 5000ft+ ride from gateway mcr friday?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
As above, going to do what apparently is a good route done on a club run with mcr wheelers some weeks ago, I never did it, meeting at the gateway at 12noon, friday, I and another guy will be there.

Nice and steady, can make it earlier, as early as 9:30

here is the route.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=6002

Aaaaand the weather :D :

weather.jpg

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    one of mine :wink:

this is only the second climb.................feel the pain :lol:

pym1.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd probably do more club runs if the crappy steep climbs were avoided....a lot of the time it just seems like everyone goes out of their way to go up every wall in the North West.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    That a climb? Looks like a drag to me :lol:
    I'd probably do more club runs if the crappy steep climbs were avoided....a lot of the time it just seems like everyone goes out of their way to go up every wall in the North West.

cmon you know you want to go up every wall. 50 miles should be easy.

The sun will make it full of epic burning win.
  • redddraggon
    I'm doing my own 65mile ride tomorrow, in better surroundings....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Might come along, i'll let you know tomorrow.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964

Lead a ride with no climbs then :wink: We're always short of volunteers....

Or just HTFU and hit them hills..... :)
  • redddraggon
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Lead a ride with no climbs then :wink: We're always short of volunteers....

I did once and it was a disaster, people turned up who couldn't go faster than 10mph. I don't really know the area well enough to go to new places, and I'm not carrying maps, so it's just easier to ride at home these days.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    I was there and I had a GPS.
  • freehub
    Oh and Bhima, the ride IS tomorrow... :lol:
  • Bhima
    Yes yes, I know it's tomorrow! When I wrote that, it was late and I still thought it was "yesterday"...

Thing is, 12 noon is a bit of a weird time for me. Recently, i've been either getting up at 4am and going out at 7 or getting up at 11, watching the Giro on Eurosport, then going out later from about 4/5pm...

I'll see how I feel. My leg is still recovering too, so not too sure weather or not i'll be able to do anything above 15%. I'm doing the Cat & Fiddle this evening, so it will be a good indicator of fitness, as I always time myself up it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I may be up for trying the C+F soon...

Not sure if I could get up it at the moment but I managed 51 miles on saturday.
  • freehub
    Bhima, think of it as an opportunity to get out of those silly sleep patterns!!! , just take it steady, I wont go off I always wait.

I think you could get up it NapD, even if you are doing 1mph, better than walking.
  • freehub
    Cmon!!!

Must be some people, it's going to be a hot one tomoz!!!!!

12 noon at the gateway, if I am not there, thats because of constipation, but it should be gone by the morning :D (I know too much detail, but no one would be cycling with that!)
  • Anonymous
    12 noon. Hmmmm. May well do. I just may well do.

(You'll have to bear with me on the hills...)
  • Anonymous
    which way round is the ride? May meet you near Deam Row if you go out that way...
  • freehub
    Ummmm, its the way round going from gateway then into cheadle.

Don't worry we'll wait.

I was thinking of editing slightly, only the end bit as I don't fancy the 2 big roundabouts in stockport they look abit crap for cyclists.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=8688

Edited to avoid crap round about.
  • Anonymous
    Portwood Roundabout is a freakin' nightmare! (I used to be a traffic officer in Stockport and I would not consider riding my bike round it to be a pleasurable experience)
  • freehub
    Yea looks awful I try avoid every round about I can.
  • Anonymous
    Just looked at the route properly, I won't get up a couple of the climbs :(

Will have to give it a miss. :(
  • freehub
    What gradient are they?
  • Anonymous
    Toot hill (up to macc forest) is a very draggy 16-20%

There are a couple of others like that too. Pyms chair near Lamaload. No chance.

Like I said earlier, I'll struggle up the cat and fiddle at the moment which is rather easy...
  • Anonymous
    Bloody hell, Eccles Pike is in there too.

Just about every climb in the area I can't manage is on that ride!
  • freehub
    Sounds like it's gonna be a tough one! I'm sure you'll be getting up em in a couple weeks.

I remember the climb in macc forest from Cheshire cat, must have been about 23%
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    let me know when you,re up for the cat+fiddle napoleon D . not been out much the last few weeks but will get out more over the next couple of week . i normal route is northwich-goostey-lower withington-siddington-gawsworth-sutton end-macc-up the c+f the back through macc forrest -langley then back home the same way . there are a few short hill before macc but nothing to bad . give me a couple of weeks to get some fitness back and then let me know . cheers , tim .
  • redddraggon
    I'm up for doing Cat and Fiddle again
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Shame that work gets in the way otherwise a hilly 50 would be just what I needed! Have a great ride guys. :(
  • Anonymous
    James, where are you going tomoz?
  • redddraggon
    NapoleonD wrote:
    James, where are you going tomoz?

If I do a longer ride tomorrow, it'll be in the Llandegla/Ruthin region - so a good distance from Manchester and the Peaks :D
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    NapoleonD wrote:

Just about every climb in the area I can't manage is on that ride!

Well it is one of my runs :lol: I reckon gorsey brow nr broadbottom is the hardest of the lot!

Have fun.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Bhima
    Yeah, just got in from the Cat & Fiddle ride before. Absolutely destroyed! Did it in 37:24 which is bollocks compared to what I used to be able to do! I did have 5 bottles of water with me though, and 7 bananas, so that's my excuse. I was weighed down big time. :lol:

There were 2 policemen on motorbikes going up and down at incredible speed - they were hiding in the bushes waiting for speeders and caught a crapload of them! Was pretty funny to watch! Went past one at 45mph and he gave me funny looks! :D

Probably will give the ride a miss tomorrow mate, sorry. Been doing 20 miles a day now and I suddenly went and did a 54 miler which killed me seen as i've been off the bike for so long! When I came off the bike, I damaged loads of soft tissue inbetween my ribs, which healed very quickly, but all the heavy breathing and sprinting on the drops for 20 minutes at a time has caused a bit of pain. Quite sore actually. :?

I'm going to use tomorrow as a rest day and may go out on Saturday - maybe even to a Wheelers club ride! It's about time I went down...

Gonna do the Cat and Fiddle Time Trial again on Sunday, probably with a stop down at Blaze Farm for some food if anyone's interested. There's some steep climbs on the way back to Sutton/Macc from that way which I reckon i'll be able to handle by then...