Suggestions for hybrid commuting bike under £200?

MrCuddles
MrCuddles Posts: 3
edited May 2009 in The workshop
Hi there folks.

I'm totally new to cycling to work and this is my first post, so please be gentle.

I've decided to commuting by bike instead of the car and take up cycling in my spare time. I'm really daunted by the choice of hybrid bikes and could do with some help picking a good one (my employer doesn't do a Cycle to Work scheme :( )

My budget for this first bike is only £200. My office is about 7 miles away and is tarmac main roads and streets all the way. I'd also like to use this bike to go cycling in the park and do some ocassional charity bike rides.

Any help and advice appreciated.
Rich.

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    that's a very tight budget. I'd suggest something 2nd hand, tbh If you get into cycling, you'll soon want to spend more than that on a better bike

at that pricepoint, one of the bigbox stores that we're generally snobbish about might have something. The budget range of bikes at Decathlon for example are great. Don't get distracted by features, at that price you want simple and rigid (no shock)

If you're up for it (and it takes a certain mentality) there are some cheap singlespeeds about such as the SE racing draft litewhich charlie knocks out for 300

but really, I'd trawl my local paper for a 2nd hand bike for about 100, spend some cash making it run better then see how you get on.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The usual response - if you're only goin to ride on the road, it's almost certainly best to get a road bike. It doesn't need to be a head down, balls out racer - there are plenty with relaxed geometry and flat bars if that's what you fancy.

Getting a traditional chunky hybrid may give you a comfortable upright position but it'll also make you sluggish, give you trouble on hills and will be a pain to lug around when you're not riding it. With your price requirements you're almost certainly looking second hand, so you probably won't be able to be too picky.

What you can do, of course, is test ride a few bikes of different styles and figure out at least which type of bike you prefer. When I had my first ride on a road bike I was blown aware by the responsiveness and acceleration and I immediately changed my mind - I'd wanted a stout tourer up to then. Never regretted my change of heart for a second.
  • MrCuddles
    MrCuddles Posts: 3
    Thanks bomberesque & biondio for the advice, really appreciated. I can't wait to get started!
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Very sorry to recommend/suggest this as it's a bit out of budget, but I do not know how flexible your budget is. This got the best review in C+ recently for "budget" road bikes and would seem to suit what you need.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710
  • I'm quite liking the look of this Fuji for (nearly) the money. Got four stars on this very site
    :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/tourer,-alloy-fra ... tsupported
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Jeepie wrote:
    Very sorry to recommend/suggest this as it's a bit out of budget, but I do not know how flexible your budget is. This got the best review in C+ recently for "budget" road bikes and would seem to suit what you need.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

I have seen last years model (in red I think) going for £220 second hand at cash convertors (now sold sadly). The virtuoso is a nice little bike for the money, the OP may be more comfortable on flat bars for the time being.

I would also say if you have any friends and colleages that know bikes a little bit then take them to the shop with you.

Other tips for a newbie would be to make sure you read the cyclists part of the highway code - its very helpful regardless of how long you've driven:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /index.htm

Before you head out on the road take it to a nice park and have a little practise at signalling, braking and changing gears (if you have any). This is more important if you do go for a proper road style bike with drop handlbars.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Very good points from Downfader...