Heally Nab

Blackadder
Blackadder Posts: 187
edited May 2009 in Routes
Does anyone know where the trails at Heally Nab up Rivington (Bolton) actually start?

Cheers

Comments

• jonsawkins
    jonsawkins Posts: 10
    Do you know the Nab? I have been involved in building parts of the black run, so if you know the area i can direct you quite easily. At the moment the trail head is in a clearing right on top of the nab. If you get yourself to the viewpoint with the pile of rocks at the south side of the forest and head northish there is a path which takes you to the clearing. Pretty obvious from there. The trails are not actually finished yet. There is only about 1/3 of the red trail complete but the black run is only a couple of dig days off completion. Isnt a massive place but is good fun if you live locally. Well worth a look. The place to get info on it is http://www.BadForum.co.uk as thats where all the build discussions are going on. The next stage of the red will be being started very soon. Terrafirma are due back on site anytime now and the black is moving on really quickly too. If you need anymore information just ask.

Jon
  • Blackadder
    Blackadder Posts: 187
    Cheers
    I live in Westhoughton and my m8s in Horwich so its not a long ride (40mins?) away
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    I went through Heally Nab at night with a friend once, we only had a single light between us and it was pitch dark so went really slowly but can't wait to have another go properly
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    When will the black route be complete, and will it be waymarked?

Thanks, was intending to do it next month sometime.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • jonsawkins
    jonsawkins Posts: 10
    I def wouldn't refer to either as routes just yet, more short runs. Both will be waymarked but not until later in summer once the whole trail is finished. It will be in effect a short red loop with a black run on the steeper downhill section of the hill. At the moment a the black runs for about a minuet flat out but is quite technical and great fun. The red so far is very sweepy and fast with lots of berms and switchbacks along with being much more pedally. The whole route isn't going to be massively long (approx 2 miles) but will be a nice short loop for local riders or those incorporating it into a larger loop. As far as the black goes its pretty much finished. The tabletop needs extending as people are over-jumping it to flat without trying and there is another berm to finish off the main route. It can get a little confusing the first time you ride the black as there are about 3 or 4 different options about half way down, Dependant on how fast and technical you want to make it, with another line currently in progress which will include a 6 ft drop to transition (with chicken run). Like i have said before, this is never going to be the likes of a trail center with a 15-20km trail and a full DH run but i can guarantee it'll be fun to the majority of people.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Sounds good - thanks, will have to go exploring this summer.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1