Removing Shimano Hollowtech Cranks - a real dumb question

HonestAl
HonestAl Posts: 406
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Recently I've got the typical annoying click coming from what seems to be the left hand side of my bb / crank when I put a fair bit of pressure on the pedals, one click per pedal cycle. I'm trying to eliminate the cause and want to remove the crank. They're Ultegra hollowtech II cranks. Easy enough removing the cap and bolts from the crank arm.

Here's the dumb question. How do I get the crank arm off? The axle is splined and appears to go right up to the end of the crank arm so there's no opportunity to use a crank puller. As it happens as well as the compact crank I've got fitted to the bike ATM I've got the original standard crankset (also a hollowtech ii) which supports this view.

So do I just get hold of the crank and give it a bloody good tug? The documentation isn't a whole lot of help.
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Ultegra/SI_1JR0A_002/SI_1JR0A_002_En_v1_m56577569830646789.pdf

See, I told you it was a dumb question. Thanks for the help in advance
"The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pull.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    1. Unscrew plastic part #5 with TL-FC16.
    2. Make sure the stopper plate is pulled down as in the left side sketch
    of the blowup.
    3. Unscrew BOTH allen hex screws on the crank arm.
    4.Remove left side crank arm(NO pullers are to be used). It should come off with a
    simple tug or two. It is only clamped on.
    5. You may now, if you wish, remove the right side arm and rings by simply pulling
    on them.
  • HonestAl
    Thanks guys. Whenever I use brute force and ignorance I tend to regret it later. Now at least with your help I've removed the ignorance component!!! Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have exactly the same problem (the clicking, not the ham fisted maintenance), it goes when the crank is tightened up again but it only lasts for about 200 miles and it starts again :(
  • dennisn
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have exactly the same problem (the clicking, not the ham fisted maintenance), it goes when the crank is tightened up again but it only lasts for about 200 miles and it starts again :(

I had some clicking/creaking on the left side arm a while back. In the end I think it was because I had set the pressure against the bearing to high(ham fisted-more is better). Loosened it up and low and behold - cured. I think, so far. Until the next maddening noise comes along.
  • HonestAl
    Going to remove, grease and replace the crank a bit later. If that doesn't work I might have an enthusiastic fiddle with the BB. Next I'll be posting "So how do you open up one of these integrated Giant bottom brackets...." Watch this space :)

The annoying thing is that the bike is so quiet without this little noise that it seems 10 times worse than it really is. Grrr...
  • Anonymous
    dennisn wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I had some clicking/creaking on the left side arm a while back. In the end I think it was because I had set the pressure against the bearing to high(ham fisted-more is better). Loosened it up and low and behold - cured. I think, so far. Until the next maddening noise comes along.

How do you mean 'pressure against the bearing'?
  • HonestAl
    heh, looks like NapD is hoping he'll get more than 200 miles between tightenings if only "pressure against the bearing" can be decoded. Waiting with bated breath....
  • dennisn
    NapoleonD wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

How do you mean 'pressure against the bearing'?

When you tighten the plastic cap with the plastic tool this puts pressure against the BB bearings on both sides. Apparently you need SOME pressure but not tons. Since I will admit to being ham fisted I assume that I had used a bit to much force in "snugging" it up
    and this caused some creaking. Maybe I do need a torque wrench but don't think there
    is any way to use one in that situation. On another post I had asked about this type of thing and someone lead me to a video that was very helpful.
    http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_58.html
  • Anonymous
    SOOPER!

Cheers Dennis.
  • Anonymous
    Excellent video too.
  • HonestAl
    tum ti tum....hums innocently and goes back to garage to release the plastic cap a little....
  • HonestAl
    BTW this turned from a dumb question to a very helpful thread, so thanks Dennis
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    If you happen to have Hollowtech 1, don't make the mistake I did today of trying to use a normal crank puller and wondering why the cranks weren't coming off... Oh yes, the spindle is hollow isn't it - d'oh! (The name should have given it away... :oops: ).

I nipped down to the LBS and picked up a little mushroom-shaped metal plug which blocks the hole in the end of the spindle and gives the crank puller something to push against.
  • dennisn
    HonestAl wrote:
    BTW this turned from a dumb question to a very helpful thread, so thanks Dennis

Don't thank me. Thank maddog2. He sent me the link to that video.