Merlin Malt or Genesis Core 20 or Focus Black Forest

Fanzone
Fanzone Posts: 2
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
From reading the other forums it seems like these bikes seem the best in the 600 to 750 price range.
I am looking for a bike that will mainly be for XC. Which of these bikes will be best?

Merlin Malt
Genesis Core 20
Focus Black Forest

Comments

• k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    out of the 3 i would say the focus but i would also have a look at the boardman comp.
    who cares?
  • truespin
    truespin Posts: 155
    My Malt 4 is an awesome bike, light, fast, nimble and strong :)
    *two thumbs up*
  • tv
    tv Posts: 338
    what forks do they come with??
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    a basic malt4 with an R/S tora fork is £860, below £750 your looking at a malt2 or an upgraded malt1. the fox fork on the focus to me makes it the best value of the 3.
    who cares?
  • truespin
    truespin Posts: 155
    Damn the Malt 4 has gone up in price!
    I got it will full XT groupset, Reba Team, 719 wheels and the Race Face evolve finishing set for around £950 at the beginning of last year...
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    You've got a big price range and to be honest there's likely to be one winner and that's the one at the top end of your budget.

Got to ask though Merlin Malt 1 or 4?

I own a Genesis Core 20 and at £600 in most places that was the top end of my budget. If I could stretch further I would have considered the Focus Black Forest but would have looked at other bikes round that price range (and therefore probably the Core 30).

As this is not a fair contest I am not going to vote but if you can afford it look at the Focus and other bikes around that price. Give them a ride and see what you think.
  • chuckd
    chuckd Posts: 105
    The Core 30 is £722 at tredz so comes into your price range.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503