Afan mountainbike trails etc...

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited May 2009 in Routes
Guys...

Looking around the WWW and not finding any decent links...

Where do we start with a day-trip to Afan please ?

Is this classed as a good trail centre ?

In the South, is there anything better ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There'll be plenty of links on this forum saying how awesome the trails are.

This is a pretty good site too

Oh, and it is an amazing place to ride - go there, you'll love it.
  • weeksy59
    M.Cole wrote:
    There'll be plenty of links on this forum saying how awesome the trails are.

This is a pretty good site too

Oh, and it is an amazing place to ride - go there, you'll love it.

IS it an easy place to find the routes ? maps ? etc etc ?

Many thanks for the link :)
  • Anonymous
    The trail centres (there are two) are both well signed on the road journey there.

And when you're on the trail there are markers so you know where you're going. It's pretty hard to go wrong, that's kind of the point.
  • weeksy59
    M.Cole wrote:
    The trail centres (there are two) are both well signed on the road journey there.

And when you're on the trail there are markers so you know where you're going. It's pretty hard to go wrong, that's kind of the point.

That's also kind of the point of Swinley Forest too... however it has 3 signposts in about 40 hectares :)
  • Anonymous
    Swinley fails where Afan doesn't therefore.
  • Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    You can also buy a pack of individual trail maps in Afan at the visitor centre for a couple of quid, but you really don't need to with the amount of signing that is out there.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Afan is an excellent trail centre. Good selection of trails and facilities including bike wash, cafes, bike shops, showers, camp site.

As said above there are two visitor centres, The Forest Visitors centre which is the start of the Penhydd and The Wall Trails and Glyncorwg (sp?) which is the start of Whites Level (the best trail in most peoples opinion) and Skyline which is a bit of a long distance monster. There is also a route that links The Wall and White's Level tails into one monster trail.

Personally I prefer Glyncorwg centre with the Drop Off Cafe but it depends which trails you wan to ride. PDFs of the trail leaflets area available on the FC web site but as Mr Cole points out the trails are very well waymarked. The main reason for the map is so you can work out how far around you are (each waymarker is number on the post and on the map :wink: ).

I've been to Llandegla for the first time today which I enjoyed but I rode both red and black routes in a day. Afan in comparsion is much bigger, more technically demanding (the reds at Afan are comparabled to the Black at Llandegla, I'm thinking particularly the Energy section on Whites) so can easily support multiple days of riding.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • weeksy59
    Many thanks guys,

I think in some ways me and my mate who are planning the day there want slightly different things LOL.

His strong point is downhills and precision. Mine is climbing and endurance/power.

However i really enjoy the downhills even though my bike skills and control are bloody rubbish.
  • Stumpy Ade
    Stumpy Ade Posts: 81
    weeksy59 wrote:
    M.Cole wrote:

That's also kind of the point of Swinley Forest too... however it has 3 signposts in about 40 hectares :)

None of which point you to any trails :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    weeksy59 wrote:
    His strong point is downhills and precision. Mine is climbing and endurance/power.

White's Level it is then, fantastic twisty rocky 3 mile singletrack sustained climb to start, black loop at the top with big berms, boardwalk and a good rocky descent. Finished off with the Energy section (tables tops etc.) and then a long fast rocky descent with rocks and drop offs.

Should keep you both happy.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result