What shades do you wear in Sunny UK ?????

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All

Looking to get myself first pair of bike shades after cycling in glorious sun the other day, also don't want another eyeful of midgeys after hitting a swarm of them !!!!!!!!!

So what shades you wearing or recommend ?

Cheers
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Oakley's - expensive but worth it IMHO.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I have worn oakley M Frames for the last 5 years or so, and they have been excellent.

I may invest in a pair of Oakley Jawbone's when they come out.
  • Andrew_J
    Andrew_J Posts: 142
    +1 for Oakleys, I went for the Livestrong ones, $20 to charity can't be bad can it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oakley Radars for me - not keen on the Jawbones - they're a bit too way out for me.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Lidl's or Aldi's under £3 and 4 lenses :D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My glasses keep the sun & midges out of my eyes, are perfectly comfortable, have the usual 3 lens set, and cost €2 from a corner shop in Holland. I bought 4 pairs.
  • megacityman
    megacityman Posts: 20
    free from work :lol: clear and tinted wraparound safety glasses :lol:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I wear none, wonder if that's the cause of headaches but I never get round to buying any. I do have some, but I don't wear them as they make me look like neo.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Rudy Project Rydon Photocromic....you can wear them all year round, night and day.

Take a look here :-

http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/uk-sunglasses/Rudy-Project-Sunglasses/Rudy-Project-Rydon-Carbon-Impact-X-Photochromic/3644.htm
  • cougie
    You really should wear sunglasses - a stone in the eye could blind you.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    For Sunny London? Anything with light enhancing lenses :lol:
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    cougie wrote:
    Oakley Radars for me - not keen on the Jawbones - they're a bit too way out for me.

+1 on both points. The polarized lenses are expensive but quality. You can wear them when it's not that bright outside because they don't block all the light.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Oakley Monster Dogs - good for all round use (not just cycling). With the Polarised lenses the view is great, actually the world looks clearer when I put them on. The lenses are replaceable (£40 or £70 depending whether regular or polarised), and the frame is indestructible, the arms just pop out if you sit on them, it has plastic hinges so nothing to break.

Cyclestore do great prices on Oakley - £30 off rrp for the monster dogs.

I always wear eye protection, day or night, any weather - a bumble bee or a stone hitting your eye at 25mph could damage your eye and/or cause you to come off.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Sicknote wrote:

+1

absolute bargain....
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I have a pair of Optilabs excellent prescription sunglasses with photochromic lenses so I can use the same pair in any light conditions.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Marcosplace
    Marcosplace Posts: 103
    Sicknote wrote:

I have worn these....compared...Oakleys cant justify the price. I have paid 100 for M frames. Never going back to expensive glasses. Rather spend money on new gel shorts
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Oakley's - expensive but worth it IMHO.
    +1 The only other pair I have had that have been close have been Tifosi Q3's.
  • cougie
    I did buy some Aldi £3 shades - great value - but for me - just not comfy.

Oakleys work out as good value for me - they last forever and I look after them - my M frames that I wear with a yellow lens on dull days must be about 10 years old and still as good as new.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    For clear glasses I use Bolle Contour safety glasses, cost between £5 and £7 on eBay - they are superb.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I had Oakley half jackets until a couple of weeks ago when I lost them overboard on a boat trip :cry:
    I'll replace with another set of Oakleys though.
    Question for thosE of you with photochromatic lenses. Are these as good/better than persimmon lenses on overcast days?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Persimmon are nice when it's overcast as they brighten things up a bit.

The photochromatic ones should be basically clear - the advantage is that you can wear them all the time.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    oakley radar G40 Photochromic great in changeable conditions like summer usually is mixture of cloud & sun. starting to wonder if they are the only glasses ill need, tho trying to resist buying blue iridium lens.
  • DiscoStu73
    DiscoStu73 Posts: 100
    I don't have cycling specific shades, I just wear my Oakley Juliets for anything outdoorsy. They are literally bulletproof.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    DiscoStu73 wrote:
    They are literally bulletproof.

they must be very heavy..??
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I just use clip-on polarised sunglasses with a pair of normal prescription specs if I really think I need them. I use the clip-ons mainly for flying RC planes I don't usually find them necessary for cycling except in Winter when the sun is low.

However I'd advise wearing something over the eyes for protection. I wore clear glasses before my eyes deteriorated to the point where I needed prescription lenses anyway.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • DiscoStu73
    DiscoStu73 Posts: 100
    softlad wrote:
    DiscoStu73 wrote:
    They are literally bulletproof.

they must be very heavy..??

Heavier than a plastic sports frame, but not too bad. Oakley test their lens material (Plutonite) by shooting them. That's why the US military all wear Oakleys. And also why I wear them instead of something cheaper, in case a stone flies up in my face.

See here
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Pulsafe safety specs from Screwfix. Three colours, polycarbonate, wrapround and less than £3. Yes, I am a cheapskate :)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • 2x Pr's Pro M Frames
    1x Pr Radar's.................. The best HDO there are, enough said. 8)

'Another coffee or are we off...'
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I have worn oakley M Frames for the last 5 years or so, and they have been excellent.

I may invest in a pair of Oakley Jawbone's when they come out.

There out now :lol: CRC has them
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    +1 for Oakleys, I've got flak jacket XLJs with photochromic lenses (plus a pair of non tinted ones), real comfortable, very little problem with condensation. Pricey but worth it IMO.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon