Commute (London) was fun 'n' wet today!

2»

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    It's looking pretty good out there now - and I'm faced with a tunnel-based home-commute solution. That;s if the DLR's running again by then. :x

Still - if it stays nice I might have a little trip on the Woowlich Ferry, and a walk along the riverside. 8)
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I love the rain! Refreshing!

Not that there was any this morning as says Redvee, warm sunshine, but blowing hard crosswinds. Bah.

Gonna take a couple of days break, my arms, legs and bum are still sore from a bumpy jiggly ride to Portishead on Sunday (nice refurbished open-air pool they have there now! Opened its doors on Sat!)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Got to work & the showers were flooded and out of order.......nice.

Bath by baby wipe.
  • I'm popping out now to buy a new paid of socks. Dry socks - I had to wring out the socks I wore this morning and there's no chance the dungeon (aka the basement changing room) will dry them out by this evening. :cry:

I'll pick up a London Lite at the same time to stuff in my shoes. Haven't found a use for the Lite before (barely readable). :lol:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    edited May 2009
    I'll pick up a London Lite at the same time to stuff in my shoes. Haven't found a use for the Lite before (barely readable). :lol:

You mean you're not interested in daily updates of the pathetic and annoying social lives of Lily Allen, Peaches Geldof, Amie Winehouse and their mates? :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm popping out now to buy a new paid of socks. Dry socks - I had to wring out the socks I wore this morning and there's no chance the dungeon (aka the basement changing room) will dry them out by this evening. :cry:

I remembered to pack a spare pair of socks and baselayer before setting off this morning. That doesn't usually happen. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Porgy wrote:
    It's looking pretty good out there now - and I'm faced with a tunnel-based home-commute solution. That;s if the DLR's running again by then. :x

Still - if it stays nice I might have a little trip on the Woowlich Ferry, and a walk along the riverside. 8)

They don't call it the Dodgy Little Rollercoaster for nuffin. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • b_c
    b_c Posts: 19
    Greg T wrote:
    If you're in East Sheen and commute to wharf by bike AND punctured this morning - you appear to be me.

Can you get some milk on the way home as we are running out, also can you stick that lamb in the oven for supper if you get back first

Well, running out of food for the dog too :)
    Not your doppelganger yet. not man enough to commute on a fixed yet. What time do you normally set off in the am?
  • cjcp
    A colleague just said I could put my cycling shoes by the heater in her room. It's by her desk. I give her 10 mins before the stench becomes unbearable.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    A colleague just said I could put my cycling shoes by the heater in her room. It's by her desk. I give her 10 mins before the stench becomes unbearable.

That's what I need - an idiotic colleague with a heater. I've tried drying mine on the air-con vents, but it's not making much difference.

Can you tumble-dry cycling shoes? I'm thinking of popping down to the launderette...
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    b_c wrote:
    What time do you normally set off in the am?

I try to get out of the door by about 0710 and get into work about an hour and five / ten later.

What about you? Also - are you a threat and should I avoid you?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • bluesacs
    bluesacs Posts: 95
    Off at 6, so it's pretty nice start to the day, well except today but i'm off now byeeeeeee.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Me and my (race) bike are in the car today because we are going for a bit of playtime this evening - but it is so annoying because I have to keep explaining to everyone who asks that I didn't not cycle because of the rain, but rather because my bike and I have somewhere to be this (hopefully glorious) evening after work...
  • b_c
    b_c Posts: 19
    Greg T wrote:
    b_c wrote:
    What time do you normally set off in the am?

I try to get out of the door by about 0710 and get into work about an hour and five / ten later.

What about you? Also - are you a threat and should I avoid you?

Normally setoff 0720 or so, definitely not a threat, very much a newbie.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    The weather has been crappy here too. :( Well ... just showers to be honest.

But, I'm off today anyway! :lol: Nice and dry inside with my cup of tea and chocolate biscuits. :P
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the weather this morning actually broke my mobile, was in a waterproof jacket pocket and i have had to order a new phone (thank god for phone insurance!)!

Also someone almost killed me at a roundabout, noone else there as i approached so just continued straight through, this guy then comes out of nowhere and misses my backwheel by about 3-4inchesi know he was that close as he slammed on his brakes and screeched through the roundabout.
  • cjcp
    Roastiecp wrote:
    Me and my (race) bike are in the car today because we are going for a bit of playtime this evening - but it is so annoying because I have to keep explaining to everyone who asks that I didn't not cycle because of the rain, but rather because my bike and I have somewhere to be this (hopefully glorious) evening after work...

And how was the evening, Roastie? Did you zip up the jersey for the sponsors just before you made your charge to the line? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    I had quite a good time this morning, splish splash, very little wind, fine by me. I have those attractive rubbery overshoes and a good waterproof so am well prepared :D Don't mind the rain at all.

Sunny ride home, wind had picked up though, nearly got blown over going round Lambeth bridge roundabout...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I might have bragged about the sunshine in Brizzle earler but it did rain just as I was getting into my 12 miles ride, which should have been closer to 20. Anyhow took shelter under some trees for ten minutes and after seeing another cyclist ride past MTFU and went on my way. Twenty mins later I'm in bright warm sunshine with the tarmac steaming whilst a cornetto was consumed.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rain? did it rain today :D

As per damn usual I had the wrong clothes although just wearing a rain jacket, t-shirt & shorts did mean that I dried off quickly, overshoes were a good call. The disturbingly warm feeling I had on the train i'm putting down to my stomach bug, mmm cosy :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    This morning looked like it was going to pour it down again but luckily it didn't. Was a bit void of cyclists still, people still afraid of rain :lol:
  • cjcp
    Left early and just about beat the rain. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Yesterdays rain must have put off a lot of cyclists today - the roads seemed fairly clear, and the stands at work are completely empty.
    cjcp wrote:
    And how was the evening, Roastie? Did you zip up the jersey for the sponsors just before you made your charge to the line? :)
    Sadly not. It was my first time out at Crystal Palace, and tho' I'd love to blame my recent illness for lack of form, but in all honesty was a bit spooked by a fast, blind corner on the circuit and ended up getting hammered every lap on the subsequent run up the hill.

What doesn't kill you...
  • cjcp
    Roastiecp wrote:
    Yesterdays rain must have put off a lot of cyclists today - the roads seemed fairly clear, and the stands at work are completely empty.
    cjcp wrote:
    Sadly not. It was my first time out at Crystal Palace, and tho' I'd love to blame my recent illness for lack of form, but in all honesty was a bit spooked by a fast, blind corner on the circuit and ended up getting hammered every lap on the subsequent run up the hill.

What doesn't kill you...

Isn't that hill a bit brutal though as circuits go? Never raced there myself as I've never been able to get out there in time.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Sounds like you lot have had fun in the rain, no bike for me yet this week :evil: :evil: Damn sunburn makes the thought of donning a rucksack a cycling for an hour or so a complete no no :cry: still I guess it's my just deserts for posing on the MTB on Sunday :roll:

Have fun in the downpour that's forecast for this afternoon, I'll be thinking of you whilst I'm nice and dry :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Roastie
    cjcp wrote:
    Isn't that hill a bit brutal though as circuits go? Never raced there myself as I've never been able to get out there in time.
    I'll tell you Friday after Hog Hill - but yeah, that hill is pretty nasty. It makes Hillingdon feel like a kindergarten and Castle Combe like a motorway.

I generally battle to make it to mid-week events - barely made it in time given the traffic!