Bleedin' d@mn annoying clicking!!!!! AARRGGHH!!!!!!

LardLover
LardLover Posts: 676
edited June 2009 in Workshop
Right, my bike has only recently started to make a click, a d@mn annoying click, one that has, over the past few rides got more regular. It was intermittent at first but now it's all the time. I'm convinced it's from somewhere in the drive, it happens when the non drive side goes past 3o'clock position (9 on the drive side - obviously :roll: ). it isn't catching on anything, I've stripped the BB area and regreased BB shell, bearings, pedal threads. I even greased the metal to metal contact points on my seatpost (seat clamp assembly). Short of stripping the pedal axles (which I can't do as I do't have a tool for Look KEO's) I'm at a loss......!!!
It's funny as it does it when you're just pedaling along, or it did, it now does when you're out of the saddle whereas it didn't before (just when seated)

Any ideas as I've no idea where to look next??

(I did try putting old pedals on and taking it for a quick spin but still can't decide if it was that. Anyone had clicking KEO's??)

Oh, and YES, I have read all of the above in the ticking/clicking/plinkinging plonkinging singinging ringinging tree thread

Comments

• dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    have you checked your frame for cracks? (assuming it is not one of those new plastic ones) :shock:
    regards,
    dbb
  • Sleepycol
    Sleepycol Posts: 66
    If you have an external type BB, take a good look at that. Swap it over for one you know is ok and try it out. No guarantees, but I have had that problem before and bought a cheap shimano BB replacement and have had no problems since.
    Pay particular attention to the drive side bearing.

Good luck. I know this can be really annoying.
    Interviewer: ‘So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?’

Frank Zappa: ‘You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?”
  • LardLover
    It is one of those new plastc-fandango frames, but yes, I have been all over it like a heat rash on a fat lasses inner thigh checking for cracks/splits etc

I'm using Campag so can't really swap to a different BB without changing cranks (not unless I upgrade to a nice new Super Record groupo :?

I've probably covered 700 odd miles on it and now it starts making a noise. What else could it be. It's not when freewheeling, only when pedalling (2 "l's" or 1? :oops: )
  • wyattlad
    wyattlad Posts: 67
    Have you tried Rrleasing the quick release on the rear wheel and doing it up again after a clean of the lever and thread etc.
  • LardLover
    cleaned and oiled mr.wyattlad
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    If it happens when the drive side crank is near the 9 o clock mark, it's roughly as the crank passes the front mech. Check the free end of the mech cable isn't in the path of the crank.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    tighten up yout seat on your seat post, then the headset, bars, stem, ANYTHING with a bolt, check its tension.
  • LardLover
    That was the 1st thing I checked Meds1962 (that and the front mech cable end catching).

I've checked everybolt I can find cullen_bay.

I wonder if it's my wheels? (Planet X pro carbon 50's - still don't know why it would be only when the pedals are level though??)
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    LardLover wrote:
    I have been all over it like a heat rash on a fat lasses inner thigh

:shock:
  • LardLover
    don't ask, it was a long time ago....................................... :oops:
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Long shot: clicking the cable end at the front mech? (My Chorus BB is clicking slightly as well, but I've decided it can get worse.)
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    do you have access to another bike?
    you could start swapping components (just for testing purposes)
    regards,
    dbb
  • paulbricey
    paulbricey Posts: 84
    My carbon frame Cinelli with Campag Euros does this, usually a single click/creak every rev when standing on the pedals and leaning forward - especially when the sprocket crank is at 3:00 o'clock. It even sounds like it's coming from the BB......however...to fix it I put a bit of 3in1 oil on all the spoke points where they enter the rim on front wheel and it fixes it for 6 months.......can also happen on the rear ones. Try switching front wheel over to test if it's that.
    Briceyinstockport
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Had a very similar sounding problem on my Chorus BB last night whilst riding out to the TT. However, having my bike knocked over in the car park solved it!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LardLover
    crank catching cable/front mech was 1st thing I checked.

No access to another bike to swap bits over.

I'm thinking it might be the wheel, but why it does it when spinning (hardly any pressure) I don't understand :?
    It's only just started to do it when standing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm :(
  • lee337
    lee337 Posts: 17
    Have you checked shoes/cleats?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hi,

Yet another check :lol:

That happened to me just before a spoke broke.
    Try checking your spokes tension.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • davesvord
    davesvord Posts: 80
    I had this problem and took the bike to Parker International who very helpful. At first after riding the bike they thought it was the BB or spokes, tried the oil thing but to no avail. It turned out to be the crank just needed tighten up quite hard. This cured the problem :lol:
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    Tried tightening/greasing the chainring bolts? This solved one of my creaks.
  • LardLover
    The only I haven't touched is the wheels. mainly because:

a: I've no idea what I'm doing

and

b: The nipples are recessed in the rims :(

As for EVERY other single bolt on the bike I've checked tightness or regreased and tightened.

I'm off out for a big ride in the north Pennines tomorrow so here's hoping I've found the click and sorted it, otherwise it's going to be a long and annoying ride (especially for 636sean as he has to ride with me - he could always leave me behind!!)
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Most likely causes of annoying hard to identify drive related noises, in my experience:-

(in no particular order)

1. Chainring bolts need tightening (check they're not spinning, you can get a tool to hold them in place at the back

2. Crank bolts not tight enough

3. seat pin/seat clamp not tight enough

3. BB shot to pieces

4. loose or broken spoke - check them by gently squeezing pairs together, you'll soon spot any loose ones

5. freewheel body. do the gears feel like they're slipping a little bit? This is my guess as all the others seem to have been checked and dismissed, although the timing confuses somewhat.

Is it once per revolution no matter what gear you're in?
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    I had some creaking on my bike yesterday. Turned out to be the steerer tube / stem handlebar that needed a little grease and re-tightening.
    Mens agitat molem
  • LardLover
    Was out for a ride on Friday and seems I may have sorted it, although there was a bit of clicking etc when out of the saddle this time (can live with that). Still think it's the wheels though, don't ask me why but I think it may be the rear hub, more specifically the freehub or cassette.
    I'm going to get a new cassette and try it (different gear range - nothing to do with the click but at least I'll have a choice).
  • solheimar
    solheimar Posts: 1
    Had a similar problem some time ago. Like you I went through everyhing I could think of but to with no success. I discounted the chain as it wasn't that old and I'd kept it well maintained, cleaned etc. I bought some 105 level chains during a ribble sale and replaced the sram pc971 at the start of the summer and hey presto ...annoying click was gone. I suspect the quicklink which made the cleaning and lubing so easy was to blame.

Hope this is of some use
  • At this rate of checking the only thing left to do will be your own body :wink:

Try some cod liver oil your knees may be clicking.

Seriouly though good luck I know how annoying these things can be.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Had the same issue by the sound. Which I hope I've cured.

Took my non drive pedal on. And really really really thoroughly cleaned it. Stuck GT80 in the axle hole. Proper dry. Tightened all the screws etc. Then cleaned the crank hole. Seems to have worked.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DLemon
    DLemon Posts: 18
    I had a creak and was convinced it was from the bottom bracket. It was actually the quick release on the front not quite tight enough.
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    I recently had a similar click. At the start of a ride there was no click, the further I went the worse it got. Turned out to be the drive side pedal.
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk