Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

120mm OLD on the cheap

redveeredvee Posts: 11,921
edited May 2009 in Workshop
The rear wheel on my Tricross is buggered. Since having the bike I've stripped and regreased the hub, new cones, swapped the new axle with the original and still I have a knocking coming from the wheel when under load, ie pedalling. Short of a new wheel what else can I do. Everything else on the drivetrain is new apart from the wheel.

If I were to buy a screw-on 700c rear wheel and take the spacer off the axle and have the wheel re-dished, would this fit in the frame? This has to be cheaper than buying a new flip-flop wheel from Specialised or similar?
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.


  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Get one of the XT front hub fixed conversions from London Fixie - about £50, fully serviceable and bombproof. Whilst you could use an an old threaded hub, they aren't very strong and unlikely to withstand the level of abuse.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redveeredvee Posts: 11,921
    Can easily live without the fixed option TBH. If it makes for a quiet wheel till I can save up for the genuine article then I'll do it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • robbarkerrobbarker Posts: 1,367
    I'm assuming this is a singlecross and you want a fixed wheel?

    Buy an On One fixed hub and rebuild the wheel. All the tools and guidance are available here if you need assistance and want to ride over the bridge to my place.

    But yes, your plan will work if you can find a screw-on 700c wheel with suitably removeable spacers. You won't be able to run a lockring though, which for me implies the need for a rear brake..

    As for the original problem, does a different rear wheel from another bike cure the problem? Just checking, like..
  • redveeredvee Posts: 11,921
    Want to run free, got the fixed on the buggered hub at present but never used it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
Sign In or Register to comment.