Training on spinning bikes...

jam1e
jam1e Posts: 1,068
I don't have much chance to cycle during the week, the best I can do is spinning or exercise bikes. I'm assuming spinning bikes are better as they'll allow me to replicate my bike position much beter than the exercise bike.

What I'm after is some kind of training program to follow - would it be better to buy a hr monitor and do some kind of zones type training or try and find a spinning work out on itunes etc?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I can't train on spinning bikes. Get way to dizzy.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    A spin bike would be better than those upright exercise bikes. What's important is replicating the position and doing the work at a hard enough intensity to induce fitness adaptations. And get a good strong fan blowing on you - good cooling is vital.

It really does help to have some pre-planned workouts to do when training indoors, otherwise it's gets a bit mind numbing. Breaking it down into specific efforts for x minutes etc helps the time pass quickly.
  • Padre 1
    Padre 1 Posts: 10
    As a qualified spinning instructor, I really recommend it and would concur with the previous psoter about variety. Pick some music tracks that will help you vary pace aand intensity - that also helps the time pass!!
  • Bike101
    Bike101 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any decent exercise/spinning bikes that are good to train on? I'm thinking of investing in one for use on those days when the weather is awful.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I trained on a spinning bike a fair bit this winter. I was mostly doing 3x15 minute intervals at just below TT intensity (using a HRM to determine this). I think it was beneficial although I think it would have been more so if I had been able to get a huge fan placed in front of me as I think overheating may have been limiting my ability to train effectively.