£1700 budget.?specialized,trek,cannondale,giant?

Mothyman
Mothyman Posts: 655
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Hi all,
I am an unfit 47yr old with dodgy low back. Live in rolling hilly area E Midlands.
Want to buy a road bike for initial improvement of fitness then joining fellow road bikers on 40-60mile rides. Not for racing but I like to get up all the hills with my bottom on the seat.Not particularly into speed but wouldnt mind the option. Low back worn so maybe upright position would suit me?
Budget of maybe £1700- or should I aim lower and buy better clothing/shoes etc?
Looking at Spec Roubaix Comp.(a beaut-but i mustnt go on the paint job alone!)..also tested Trek with a triple (?1.9 I think) and Giant Defy Advanced (nice but didnt inspire me)and Cannondale (Ilove the design and frame shape-havent had a chance to ride one yet.

What do you reckon would suit my needs?
Thanks

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    With an injury my first consideration would be to get to a good LBS a have a chat to them about what sort of frame is going to be most suitable for you. The Roubaix could be ok due to its more relaxed position and longer headtube but there are plenty of others out there. Indeed a more racier stance might be fine as some people have told me that they found a more stretched out position helped relieve the pressure on their back. frame material as well should be taken into account, a Ti frame would give a more forgiving ride quality. Best to try as manny as you can.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think it's difficult for any of us to answer your question without first hand knowledge of your back problem. If I were you I'd consider a professional bike fit from someone like Bespoke Cycling, as they will measure not just your fit, but also your flexibility. Therefore, you can have an objective view as to the best position for you, rather than rely on test rides of a few machines.
    That will cost about £175 though, so quite a bit of your budget. Alternatively, if you think that you can achieve a comfortable fit on some of the bikes you mentioned and just need some fine tuning, you may want to consider an adjustable stem such as this http://www.parker-international.co.uk/3545/BBB-HighSix-Adjustable-Stem.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid3545
    They will probably be a bit flexy, but once you get your position dialled in, you can buy a normal stem that replicates your position.
    Good luck :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Really I cant see any need to spend over a grand or so these days. Spend the rest of it on kit for all weathers and maybe a trip or two to the alps ?
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    Thanks for the advice
    I didnt know about Bespoke cycling...i might look into it APIII.
    And markos' idea that it might help to stretch is a good thought - I will test my mates 58 inch frame !

ps-apologies for posting in the workshop forum - i should be in the beginners section

cheers