Wobby new fork

Gibbo216
Gibbo216 Posts: 29
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Hi just changed forks on a Giant OCR3 to a carbon set, all seems fine bar a small degree of movement under heavy braking, any ideas anyone?

Comments

• jaffasnap
    jaffasnap Posts: 2
    Try setting the front brake pads with more toe-in (loosen the pad bolt and find a piece of card around 2mm thick, hold the card under the rear of the pad between it and the rim while pulling on the brake and re tighten the bolt). I had flex and judder under breaking on my planet x carbon front fork and after much head scratching this solved my problem. You just need to re do this now and then as the pad wears.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Gibbo216
    is this fork flex or fork movement in the headset?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gibbo216
    Gibbo216 Posts: 29
    I think it is headset.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    check the lower crown race has been fitted to the new fork. Make sure the top cap is not bottoming out on the expanding wedge etc in the fork or is not bottoming out on the top of the steerer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I had that on mine when the stem and steerer cap bolt were not tightened enough.

What I then did was loosen the stem from the steerer, ensure the steerer cap bolt was fully pressing against the stem, and then tighten the stem to the steerer, well.

The wobble has disappeared.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    +1 on the crown race. I changed forks on my older bike a while back and totally forgot to reomove the crown race from the older forks and fit to the new. As such the forks didn't sit flush in the headset as they should, leading to significant play back and forth.