Dura Ace Clinchers - Rim tape or no rim tape?

peanut1978
peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Chain reaction say no

Wiggle say maybe.

any difinitive answers?

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'm no expert but I haven't used tape on mine and suffered no problems as a result. If only I could say the same about changing tyres!! Thank heaven I've been lucky with punctures...

Peter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I haven't got it on mine and no probs.
  • PeterMolloy
    PeterMolloy Posts: 121
    I got mine about 12 months ago, and was told by my LBS that Shimano had issued a maintenance notice (or whatever they call it) to say that they now advised fitting rim tape as a number of riders had reported punctures from the 'inside' i.e from the rim bed.
    I've fitted the rim tape and never had any problems....but I guess that seeing rim tape is only miniscule in weight, why take the risk of running without it.
    PeteM
  • Mozza1
    Mozza1 Posts: 128
    Haven't replaced the plugs on my pair.......but all seems well on the puncture side of things. And I live too far from a Shimano Dealer to warrant getting the free rim tape.

Incidentally anybody seen the article on Roadcyling UK about spoke breakages?
    How's everybody else’s going; what sort of mileage have you got on these now?
    Mine have about 1100 miles so I expect to be nervous later in the year when 2000 miles approach………………….
    :(
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Why don't you need no rim tape? Is it possible to make my 105 R550 wheels not need rim tape? Be nice to get abit less mass in my wheels.
  • Mozza1
    Mozza1 Posts: 128
    These wheels (WH-7850-C24-CL/Carbon 1380's) were initially designed to run with spoke hole plugs instead of rim tape to save weight. Apparently there is a greater risk of punctures so Shimano now recommends rim tape. However you can get plugs for any rim; I think Velocity rims in AU/USA make them-dunno who the UK distributor is though.
  • mine came with it already on