freehub wobble?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Hi.

I notice on my main bicycle that when I move the cassette side to side I can feel quite abit of movement, I've taken the cassette off and notice its the actual free hub, it is abit worrying but I don't want to fix it myself as I don't want to make it worse. I did over 100 miles yesterday and I did not have any problems but if I've got the bike upside down checking everything and put the gears in the highest you can hear odd noises which might be the cassette wobbling.

Is it something that needs to be urgently fixed? I've not had the bike long but I cant get it fixed at the shop as I'm not at home until end of June.

Thanks.

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    freehub wrote:
    I've not had the bike long

Could it be something slowly coming loose, due to a crappy bike build...?
    freehub wrote:
    I'm not at home until end of June.

Living rough on the road? :lol:

Any noise/wobble will be the most noticable on the highest gear because the cog's further away from the wheel itself, thus the chain force has a larger moment (more leverage) and causes more movement.

My mate had a freehub die randomly after only 15 miles of it first playing up! Only a tenner to replace I think.
  • freehub
    I'd fix it but I'm worried I might put it back together in a way that causes the wheel to wobble.

Oh and check your PM's
  • damptw
    damptw Posts: 34
    A small amount of movement in the freehub is normal. If you pull at the largest sprocket it will move about a mm from side to side.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    freehub wrote:
    Hi.

I notice on my main bicycle that when I move the cassette side to side I can feel quite abit of movement, I've taken the cassette off and notice its the actual free hub, it is abit worrying but I don't want to fix it myself as I don't want to make it worse. I did over 100 miles yesterday and I did not have any problems but if I've got the bike upside down checking everything and put the gears in the highest you can hear odd noises which might be the cassette wobbling.

Is it something that needs to be urgently fixed? I've not had the bike long but I cant get it fixed at the shop as I'm not at home until end of June.

Thanks.

Willhub?

Willhub did over 100 miles yesterday....
    Willhub hasn't had his bike long...
    Willhub can't get it fixed at his LBS as he away from home until June

Welcome back Will, we've missed you....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    damptw wrote:
    A small amount of movement in the freehub is normal. If you pull at the largest sprocket it will move about a mm from side to side.

The movement is around 2-3mm
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    many do wobble. just use the bike.

not like there is much you can do do a sealed unit any way.

Oh and hub make might be a help as there are so many different bodies.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Is the hub a shimano R550? - they are notorious for wobbling.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehub
    I don't think it is sealed, it's a Shimano Hub from Shimano 105 R550 wheels.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it is. it is not serviceable.

the wobble is normal. go use the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • freehub
    I was using it, I was just worried I might be out one day and a problem might occur. I thought the freehub was the same as the one on my other wheels that went dodgy, so I bought a new one, I could take the big bearings out and also lift the seal and actually get to the lots of little bearings.

I'm not worried if it's normal.
  • monster-mash
    monster-mash Posts: 586
    I have had this before turns out it was the freehub base washer not sitting soundly against the hub body causeing the freehub to sit on the scunt. May be worth a quick look.