Any opinions on this frame??

cheehee
cheehee Posts: 427
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Being a compulsive tinkerer, I'm thinking of getting myself a new frame and swapping over the components from my current bike (BeOne Storm).

I've seen this on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33660

Any ideas on what they are like? Good, bad, cheap and nasty etc.

I've also looked into the usual contenders ie Ribble, Planet X

Thanks in advance

Chee'nothingwrongwithcurrentbike'hee

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looks fine to me! Why not be the first to tell us all? :D
  • cheehee
    Guinea Pig??

:D
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    What are your thoughts on the BeOne Storm?

I'm looking at so many cycles right now and weighing up what I should get. This would be my first road bike - would you recommend it to me?
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • cheehee
    hotspur wrote:
    What are your thoughts on the BeOne Storm?

I'm looking at so many cycles right now and weighing up what I should get. This would be my first road bike - would you recommend it to me?

Well mate, I've got last years BeOne Storm with a 105 triple groupset. It's red, white and black and a bit garish IMO.

The 2009 model comes with a 105 compact (?) I think, and looks better in all black. I seem to recall Cycling plus giving the 2009 Storm a 9/10 a few months back.

It is also my first 'proper' road bike and I enjoy riding it muchly, I've joined a cycling club and commute to work on it two shifts out of four.

It feels light, responsive and is certainly fast, but I don't have any real benchmark to compare it to roadbike wise iyswim?

Would I recommend one...........................?

Yes I would mateIt does me well and I've had no problems with the bike, but I don't really know enough about roadbikes to offer any other alternatives/bikes to consider etc.

I bought mine for £500, down from £899 in the sale last year so it may be worth holding out for a bargain?

Cheehee
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    Thanks for that. I've shortlisted several bikes, but as sad as it might sound want to keep away from a red cycle, so thumbs up to this years Storm.

Also knowing very little about road bikes at this stage, it is helpful for someone else who was at this stage not so long ago recommend a cycle I'm seriously looking at.

What was sizing like on this bike?

I'm thinking of getting help from a LBS with regards to sizing and for after sale help. I know that the LBS can get hold of pretty much any cycle, so I will discuss the BeOne.
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I've seen one of those Brand x frames and tbh I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't the lightest or stiffest frame I've ever seen. At that price you might better off with a carbon tailed Scandium frame from ribble perhaps?
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • damptw
    damptw Posts: 34
    Does anyone think the geometry looks a bit funny? They seem to have a very short headtube and toptube.
  • cheehee
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for that. I've shortlisted several bikes, but as sad as it might sound want to keep away from a red cycle, so thumbs up to this years Storm.

What was sizing like on this bike?

I went for a size 59cm, I emailed CRC and BeOne and went on their recommendation. I'm just under 6'3".

There is a fair amount of post showing so I could possibly go for the biggest size (61cm?)

Dunno if that helps?
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    incog24 wrote:
    At that price you might better off with a carbon tailed Scandium frame from ribble perhaps?

+1. You'd get a much better alu or scandium frame for that kind of money.
  • cheehee
    incog24 wrote:
    I've seen one of those Brand x frames and tbh I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't the lightest or stiffest frame I've ever seen. At that price you might better off with a carbon tailed Scandium frame from ribble perhaps?

Cheers. Thats the kind of info I'm after. I've seen that I can get a carbon Planet X for around £450. So maybe I'll go down that route, I'm in no rush at the mo and I've still got to save up around £300.

Chee 'saying no to credit cards' hee
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    If I was going to buy a frame and build a bike from favorite parts I think I would look at the Principia frames on the Chain Reaction site. They were well respected frames a few years ago and are now a third of the original price.