Cleats help for a beginner - Look Keo

prideofcheshire
prideofcheshire Posts: 15
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
I have purchased a used road bike that has Look Keo pedals on it. I do not have the cleats for these pedals yet but i am confused as to which ones to buy. I'm not too good on this subject so any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    The grey ones - probably. Black have no float and red have 9deg. Grey is 4.5deg and are a good average starting point.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    I bought the Classics and they have been fine, only don't walk too far in them as they will need replacing very soon if you do.

Great Value for money

Flyer
  • Appreciate the quick replies! Could someone please explain the difference between the black red and grey please and what each one does?

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The float means how much lateral movement you can make with your foot before you unclip -

Black - none (very stiff)
    Grey - 4.5 degrees (what most people use, including me)
    Red - 9 degrees (blo0dy loads of movement)
  • That's great thanks. maybe i should look at the grey ones for starters. Are they easy to fit? Any tips?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very easy to fit and come with full instructions.

The only tip more than the instructions I can give is to try out the positioning a few times before embarking on a long ride.

Maybe even go to your shop to get them to have a look at you in them...
  • adodsk
    adodsk Posts: 35
    Is it really just trial and error? I have the grey cleats and when I centred them on the shoe there was no problem with my left foot but the outside of my right foot went numb. A LBS suggested swivelling the heel inwards slightly but this causes real pain in my right arch in additino to the original numb area.... are there any easy ways to figure out which way your feet should be aligned????
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Your feet should be in their 'natural' position. I think one way to determine this is to sit on a table or something so your feet don't touch the ground and let them hang freely. You should then see if they point out a bit or if they hang straight, etc. I've never done this as trial and error has always allowed me to sort out cleats very quickly. Also, once you've done it once next time is easy.
    More problems but still living....
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    amaferanga wrote:
    Your feet should be in their 'natural' position. I think one way to determine this is to sit on a table or something so your feet don't touch the ground and let them hang freely. You should then see if they point out a bit or if they hang straight, etc. I've never done this as trial and error has always allowed me to sort out cleats very quickly. Also, once you've done it once next time is easy.

When you've got it right, mark the position on the sole of your shoe with a pen to make replacement a piece of cake.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The float makes adjusting loads easier, and once correct, is better for your knees as it allows for natural rotation of the joint. I've run on the older Delta red cleats for many many years without issue - my knees didn't like the no-float ones......
  • adodsk
    adodsk Posts: 35
    Cheers for the advice folks. Finally got around to sitting on a table ... scary to see just how much my right foot hangs toes outward. Changed the Grey cleats for red ones altered the angle on the sole of the shoe and it really makes an incredible difference. Still not 100% pain-free but I put that down to the shoes. Probably need a half-size bigger.

Thanks again!
  • El Imbatido
    El Imbatido Posts: 144
    try this link, i found it helped me with my cleat position:

http://www.cptips.com/footsyn.htm

When i originally got my new shoes and cleats, i had quite a bit of foot numbness and this helped

Cheers
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • Kneesaway
    Kneesaway Posts: 56
    There is a thread running in 'Workshop' at the moment you may fancy a look at

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12630775

Kneesaway