Stuck chain when shifting down

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I'm having a problem with my compact set up, I replaced the 34 ring with a stronglight 36 which seems to fit perfectly however several times today when shifting down the chain didn't seem to shift far enough and sat in-between both rings not engaging the teeth.

i'm running a 50/36 set up which was working perfectly, nothing in the drivetrain is worn and used to work.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Have you adjusted the front mech, most likely in terms of cable tension?
  • itboffin
    Yep front mech is fine, i've removed cleaned then reset High/Low screws, taken one whole link out of my chain, removed my cassette cleaned the hub body and tightened back on, taken off the 36t stronglight chainring and replaced with another brand 36t FSA it now shifts perfectly but keeps skipping under load when in the small / small combo (yes yes I know).

Oh and I fixed a loose spoke on the rear wheel.

The final thing left to try is putting the original 34t ring back on, which I really don't want to do as 34t is just too small to be useful.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check that the chainring is the right thickness for your transmission - if it was too thick, you may have to give an extra half-turn on your front mech stop screw. Also, some rings are assymetric - check you've got it the right way round.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • itboffin
    It's the right way around but the alignment notch is wrong, i've tried several different positions none have yet made any difference.