boardman pro - frame size question

dgw15
dgw15 Posts: 6
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Any chance of some advice - Im after a boardman pro MTB - ive a GT 3.0 at the moment & need to upgrade. Thing is I'm 5'6" - cant decide on a medium or small frame. Anyone out there about the same height as me with a medium or small. I dont want to spend £1000 and regret it once in the saddle.

Im thinking the small would be better, my GT is a medium & is ok but the top tube on boardmans seems a couple of inches longer tha most, ive sat on a couple in the shop and still cant decide - both kinnda feel ok in their own way.

Anyway any help or advice on choosing a frame size most welcome.

thanks

Comments

• k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    i would say small as i would be inclined to go with a medium for myself and im 5`10"
    who cares?
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    I have a medium, I'm 5 10
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Hi,
    I would say go for the small.

Im 6'1" and ive got a medium (18") Boardman Sport. Its probably a tad on the small side for me, but the large felt a tad too big. Felt too stretched out.

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Clockworkali
    Clockworkali Posts: 113
    I would go for the medium. I am 5'7" and the medium fits me fine, the small would have been way to small, it does depends on your inside leg and reach. What i did was measure from the top of the seat to the pedal (inside leg) and from the center of the seat to the center of the stem (reach)of my exiting bike and compared these measurements with the boardman. Don't worry if the top tube is a bit long as you can always reduce the stems length. Hope this helps.
  • dgw15
    Fantastic - thanks for all the reply's - i probably a little OCD but went to halfords again today, measured & compared against my bike, lucky for me there was a bloke with a boardman pro medium buying somethin - i waited for hi to come out & asked for his opinion, he let me ride it round the car park - fitted lovely, so will order a medium i reckon - so glad as i think otherwise it may have been a small.

Such a good spec but cant ride for a trial which is pants, but cant ignore the quality of the bike - cheers to all who took the time to reply :o)
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    i would go for small too, my buddy has a medium and at 6" even i feel a little stretched on it tbh.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    defo go for the small
  • dgw15
    Noooooooooooooo - id decided on a medium - now 2 more people say a small - grrrrrrrr.

Ok getting serious - the reason im thinking is i like a high saddle, this is pathetic i know but I took every measurement of my GT today & then went to halfords & measured up a smal & a medium - Im comfy with 70 cm between crank shaft & seat - for the small to cope with that the seat post would be way long, as crank to seat post exit on the small is 41cm's - so almost a foot of post - that cant be right!!!!!!!!.
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    if youve rode the medium and felt comfortable then get a medium, at the end of the day its what fits you not what people think on the forum.
    who cares?
  • dgw15
    Yep - i think k2rider i reckon your right - no 2 people are the same, wouldnt normaly bother but I bought the GT for £350 - not too much dosh but im self employed so no cycle to work scheme for me - therefore £1000 is a lot for a bike & I just want to get another opinion on the fit. No one else I know is that bothered about cycling in the same way so cant get a decent 2nd opinion there - as soon as I say the bike is close to a grand they all say thats crazy - where as we know here thats just going to get me something you can call decent. Anyway - now the uphill battle is halfords - Ill tackle that in the morning.
  • Si78
    dgw15 wrote:
    Noooooooooooooo - id decided on a medium - now 2 more people say a small - grrrrrrrr.

Ok getting serious - the reason im thinking is i like a high saddle, this is pathetic i know but I took every measurement of my GT today & then went to halfords & measured up a smal & a medium - Im comfy with 70 cm between crank shaft & seat - for the small to cope with that the seat post would be way long, as crank to seat post exit on the small is 41cm's - so almost a foot of post - that cant be right!!!!!!!!.

Hi,
    If I remember right,
    the seat tube height goes up in 5cm increments between small, medium and large.
    the top tube length goes up in 2.5cm increments and
    the head tube height goes up in 1.5cm increments.

So there isnt a great difference between the sizes really.
    whatever fits you best, and whatever you feel comfortable on.

Just make sure your delicate bits have enough room if you have to jump forward off the seat in an emergency!
    Like I said in an earlier post Im 6'1" with 33" inside leg. When Im standing astride the bike, with the seat prodding into the small of my back I can get a fist between my nadgers and the top tube.
    Now Im not sure if Ive got extremely large testicles, or you have got really long legs, but you are 7 inches shorter than me, so I would deffo check that the stand-over height is ok for you.

Whatever you get Im sure you will love it tho :D

Si

ps, my seat post is sticking out about 9", and its still got a bit to go before the warning line.
  • Pin Head
    Pin Head Posts: 7
    So what about someone who is 6 1?
  • Si78
    Pin Head wrote:
    So what about someone who is 6 1?

Im 6'1"

Got a medium, see other posts above ^

Si