Tyre Cuts

fto-si
fto-si Posts: 402
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Just noticed that I have a couple of small cuts in my Scwalbe Ultremo R tyres , nothing huge, the biggest is about 3mm.
Is this something I should be worried about?
Dont really want to bin the tyre after less than 1000 miles.
exercise.png

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Supaglue if it is not structural
    Half man, Half bike
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I'd glue it if it's on the tread. Shoulders and sidewalls I bin or use on the turbo.
  • ijportwine
    ijportwine Posts: 35
    I have noticed the same thing on my tyres. How do you glue them?
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Some say it's best to glue them up when they're not on the rims, but others say that they should be glued when fully pumped up because the tyre, therefore the hole, will expand when at high pressures. The disadvantage to doing it when fully pumped up is that the glue can accidentally make its way to the innertube, so if you ever need to fix a puncture, the tube could be stuck to the tyre (and it's quite hard to pull them apart without ripping the tube!).

Personally, I get an old innertube, cut out a small patch and glue it to the inside of the tyre underneath the hole so that I can put as much glue in as I want without it leaking down to the inside.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Glue it whilst off the rim or deflated, obviously gluing it when pumped up wont do much good cause it's pumped up and the tear will be open.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    No, but you want it to be open, otherwise, when you inflate it, the glue will be pulled apart, as it's not as strong as rubber.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    There has been a recall of Schwalbe Ultremo tyres as a flaw in the constuction means that they can disform and explode. Similar thing happened to my Ultremos but i binned them and bought some ContiGP4000S.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I glue it off the bike. Yes, it will eventually separate and need doing again but there's no point glueing it when the cut is open.

Wetsuit repair glue is the stuff you want by the way. Just as strong but doesn't harden like superglue.