Advice and opinions please regarding insurance etc

FyPunK
FyPunK Posts: 160
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
I have done a search of the forums but can't really see what I am looking for but I am sure I have read it somewhere. Not for the first I was cut up by a cap head probably still high on last nights drug binge in his tarty corsa, although I escaped without hitting him it is making me wonder about the law of averages and I know one day it will happen ( just like the you know who fairy) so I am now thinking of joining either the CTC or British cycling's everday cycling, I know one is £36 and the other is around £24 and the cover looks pretty much identical. Can I ask what's the thoughts of people here, is the extra £12 worth it? Just so I know there is some legal back up if ever I need it.
www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The CTC produces quite a good (monthly?) magazine, especially if you're interested in cycle touring.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hah - as timing would have it, I've just received an email telling me CTC membership can get you 25% off the big Bikeradar bash next weekend!
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Is CTC the expensive one? *too lazy to google*
  • FyPunK
    tardie wrote:
    Is CTC the expensive one? *too lazy to google*
    Yes it is.
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • wantaway
    wantaway Posts: 96
    Not usre if this helps...

http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/About_U ... eaflet.pdf

and

In between waging a struggle for basque seperatism based on marxist-lennist ideals, ETA also offers service for cyclists - insurance which includes basic breakdown cover.

http://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/cycle
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Cycle Rescue: If a mechanical fault means you cannot continue your cycle trip, we will come and get you and either take you to a railway station, cycle repair shop, car rental agency, to overnight accommodation or to your own home if it’s nearer.

This HAS to cover punctures!
  • wantaway
    wantaway Posts: 96
    http://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/cycle_rescue

Trust ETA to have ways of dealing with the Puncture Fairy.
  • FyPunK
    I can not see anything with the ETA contract that covers legal advice etc and it is that I am more interested in, I assume there isn't any, am I correct?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    BC do silver cover for £36, which includes a provisional race licence, but there is legal cover. Their solicitors are doing a fine job so far for me after getting knocked off in December.
  • FyPunK
    fossyant wrote:
    BC do silver cover for £36, which includes a provisional race licence, but there is legal cover. Their solicitors are doing a fine job so far for me after getting knocked off in December.
    Cheers for that. I was wondering if anyone had any experience on the legal side.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I went for BC Gold coverage (for the full race licence).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Due to this post I've just joined the CTC :roll:

I've been thinking about doing it for ages, I've taken a 1yr membership for £36 , they do offer a 5yr for the cost of 4yrs.

I'm covered by my trade union for commuting but the CTC do decent work so I don't mind supporting them whilst getting some benefits and piece of mind for me :)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png