Pre commute food/snacks/drink?

JonS123
JonS123 Posts: 171
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
What (if anything) do you eat/drink before your commute? Have a friend who is trying to get me started on 1001 of these body shakes but I don;t want to turn into a creatine monster! I just tend to stick to a few pints of water before and after, and have the water bottle to keep me going on the hotter days

Comments

• davbay
    davbay Posts: 60
    Jaffa cakes.
    Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...
  • toybhoy
    toybhoy Posts: 112
    Just a bowl of muslei and a glass of milk does it for me.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    There's a few previous posts that cover this subject, most people eat/drink either very little or nothing before their commute and have a decent meal at work , i.e.; cereal, fresh fruit or toast and coffee.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    A few pints of water?! :o Jesus, you must be needing the biggest pizz when you get in to work! :lol:

I usually just have a small breakfast when I get up - toast and a banana or something. Then leave about an hour later. It's better to eat something afterwards (makes the weight of the bike + you lighter ;)).
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Nothing. I eat when I get to work. Usually fruit, porridge, nuts or a Muller Rice.
    FCN 10
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    don't eat or drink before commuting (only 2.3-2.5 miles each way), then a cup of tea when arrive to the office.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    A glass of water beforehand, and then three weetabix with a scoop of whey protein and figs & honey for brekky. There's a good article in this weeks CW that covers the benefits of training with restricted carbs, evidently it forces your body to use it's fat stores rather than glycogen, which has to be good :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Porridge + coffee before, coffee after. That does me for 21 miles. How far you commuting?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Again, how far? It entirely depends. I don't eat anything before leaving for work and have never bonked on my way to work (7 miles), though sometimes I do feel hungry. I think if my commute was 2 or 3 miles longer I might reconsider, though I have zero appetite for the first 90 mins or so I'm awake so it works best for me this way.
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    Its around 7 miles each way, and I do tend to push myself rather than sit back and enjoy the ride. I generally find im more worn out on a evening, though on paper the ride home is more downhill than up (work is at the top of a hill)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I used to not eat until I got to work, but these days I usually try and get in a bananna or a small bowl of fruit and fibre.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    eat and drink nowt

used to do a cup of tea and peanut butter on toast but its a waste of time and effort (9mile)