Cycling caps

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Anyone else tempted to ride out with a simple cycling cap as opposed to a helmet.. especially as the weather has been promised heatwave value as the summer appoaches...?

Probably the temptation is because my helmet inner pads need replacing as they have become hard and scratchy over time with the sweat etc..

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I don't wear a helmet. I either go bare-headed, or take a cotton cap if it's too sunny.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I don't wear a helmet. I either go bare-headed, or take a cotton cap if it's too sunny.
    +1
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Tempting, but no. I just got replacement pads from Wiggle for £4.50 which would solve your problem.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I usually wear a helmet, except on very short easy recovery rides as it's just annoying and unnecessary.

Cotton caps fit very confortably underneath cycle helmets. To be honest I find them most useful in the rain. If it rains it keeps the water off your eyes and face. makes riding in the rain a lot more pelasent.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    +1 cap .Can't abide helmets :roll:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Whenever I buy a helmet I immedaitely remove the pads, they just get nasty after a short time and are a pain to take out and put back in. I just use sweat bands under my helmet that you can just take off and bung in the wash very quickly
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wear a cap and a helmet...
  • Headhuunter
    NapoleonD wrote:

I've ben contemplating that, if only to keep bees and wasps and other stingy things from flying through the air vents and getting tangled in my hair
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NapoleonD wrote:

I've ben contemplating that, if only to keep bees and wasps and other stingy things from flying through the air vents and getting tangled in my hair

Damn right! Soaks up the sweat nicely too.

I will always wear a helmet because I got a knock on the head from an overhanging piece of wood on a skip wagon when I first started riding however I also respect people's decisions not to wear them. Caps look mega cool sans casque...
  • Headhuunter
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Damn right! Soaks up the sweat nicely too.

I will always wear a helmet because I got a knock on the head from an overhanging piece of wood on a skip wagon when I first started riding however I also respect people's decisions not to wear them. Caps look mega cool sans casque...

Yeah I've had a couple of smacks on the head which would have been much worse without a helmet, so I wouldn't go without
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    I have a nice cap, but always wear a helmet, unless I'm out on a very quiet day and on a very quiet route. I have a nice scar on my arm from an accident a few years ago, thanks to being run off the road down country lanes - which without a helmet would have seen me have this nice scar and a cracked open head too!

Function over fashion for me.
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    I despise wearing my helmet, i think it looks stupid. But it has kept what little brains i have safe when ive been on my mountain bike, so i really wouldnt go out without one on! As stupid as i do feel i look!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • hotspur
    I don't think that a helmet looks stupid at all.

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i don't think a helmet looks dumb, but i do find them far from cool, in fact rather too warm for my liking.
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    No, i dont mean helmets look stupid, its just the one ive got looks stupid on me! But after trying several out, it was the only one which felt comfortable so i went with it!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    hotspur wrote:
    I have a nice cap, but always wear a helmet, unless I'm out on a very quiet day and on a very quiet route. I have a nice scar on my arm from an accident a few years ago, thanks to being run off the road down country lanes - which without a helmet would have seen me have this nice scar and a cracked open head too!

You always wear a helmet, unless??
    Worn one ever since my father in law lay in a ditch for 8 hours after a very low speed spill, he still has numbness on one side of his face from the knock on the head.
    If i leave the house without my helmet my kids run out and tell me off!!

I would like one of those snazzy little caps to go underneath though as i sweat like a pig, are they expensive??
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I would like one of those snazzy little caps to go underneath though as i sweat like a pig, are they expensive??

About £6 - £7. Prendas have 4 for £20.
  • hotspur
    hotspur wrote:

You always wear a helmet, unless??
    Worn one ever since my father in law lay in a ditch for 8 hours after a very low speed spill, he still has numbness on one side of his face from the knock on the head.
    If i leave the house without my helmet my kids run out and tell me off!!

Point taken. Sorry to hear that BTW.

• for caps i ordered a lampre one from ebay, the sellar was zepnat (from zepnat.co.uk) cost £5, free delivery, bought it wed afternoon, wearing it thursday morning!

i love caps and im not keen on helmets but afetr a nasty crash i makemyself wear it now. but a cap underneath is good for me... keeps the sun out of my eyes
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I always wear a cap, I don't bother with a helmet.

I've got a helmet but it's just gathering dust.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I wear a cap under a helmet, soaks up the sweat nicely and keeps mini beasts off me bonce as well.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Cap and a helmet is a good look, practical too. Crashed yesterday, just road rash and bruises but having seen my mate who came down with me lying on the road with a cracked helmet and blood pouring out of the back of his head I hate to think what would have happened if he hadn't been wearing one. Anecdotal and everyone should be able to chose what they want or don't want to wear, but I won't be out without one again! - I used to only wear one at chaingangs and when racing.

exercise.png
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Cap+Helmet does get a bit hot, and also makes you look like Leif Hoste if you're wearing it when it's not raining.

It's a good way to keep your chin up if you keep the cap pointing down.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Gave in and ordered a Peugeot/BP retro cap... tho' not a fan of 'team' logoed gear, as one of my first 'real' bikes as a yoof was a 10 speed Peugeot, and I have filled car up with BP petrol from time to time, I reckon it aint out of order to wear one...
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    teagar wrote:
    Cap+Helmet does get a bit hot, and also makes you look like Leif Hoste if you're wearing it when it's not raining.

It's a good way to keep your chin up if you keep the cap pointing down.

Yeah it can get a bit warm, but they are great for dipping in streams on long alpine climbs for a bit of refreshment 8)
  • hotspur
    for caps i ordered a lampre one from ebay, the sellar was zepnat (from zepnat.co.uk) cost £5, free delivery, bought it wed afternoon, wearing it thursday morning!

i love caps and im not keen on helmets but afetr a nasty crash i makemyself wear it now. but a cap underneath is good for me... keeps the sun out of my eyes

I got a Bianchi one through the post today from Zepnat. Awesome cap, it looks the mutts nuts and they deliver super quick.

Oooh lovely http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Retro-Cycling-Cap--%22-Gewiss-Bianchi-%22-_W0QQitemZ310145148488QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

• Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    +1 for caps under helmets. In the recent hot weather i turned the cap round so that the peak covered my neck. It avoids sunburn between bottom of helmet and top of top. :)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    I'd say the ratio of helmets to none is 10-1 in favour with the people I meet on the roads. Personally I'm so used to wearing my helmet I barely notice I've got in on regardless of the weather. Had my first bee sting of the summer recently though and wished I was wearing a cap under the lid. Damn thing went straight into a vent then hung around before stinging me and sodding off. How I avoided swinging into the verge is beyond me!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Normally just a cap for me - not keen on helmets though must admit most roadies seem to wear them round here though probably a minority of cyclists as a whole.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Used to wear a cap under my helmet, but now actually find it cooler without. I sweat just as much either way.

Don't like wearing a helmet, but would rather have it and save myself brain damage one day than look/feel cool without one. How cool would I bee looking drooling into my lap for the rest of my life!?