Shimano Outboard BB

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited May 2009 in Workshop
What is the proper method of adjusting this BB? The instructions say thread in the plastic cap(onto the left crank arm) and then tighten it with the supplied plastic tool. They also mention some torque setting. Just how is this accomplished with the plastic tools that are provided? Do you just twist the "wheel" portion of this tool until it's "tight"? Anyone? What am I missing here? If anything.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    it's just to preload the bearings, so finger tight is more than enough, and NO MORE.

I do it finger tight then back it off a tad. Like headsets, as long as there is no play it's tight enough. Many people wear their BBs out prematurely because they load the bearings up too tight.

There's a vid on the Hope website where some northern fella shows you how, which I'll try and dig out.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    maddog 2 wrote:

Thanx, sort of had a feeling about tightening up the plastic thingy "not to tight" and that's what I've been doing. So far so good. Thanx again.