Bikeradar women's ride?

lexiekay
lexiekay Posts: 379
edited May 2009 in Women
Hello,
seeing as there seems to be a lot more ladies posting on here recently, I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in a bikeradar women's ride? A chance to go to a trail centre with other ladies rather than spending the whole time trying to catch up with your other half?! Just an idea, let me know if anyone's interested!

lexie

Comments

• Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I wouldn't say no, I've never really ridden with a group before. I'd still be a bit worried about holding people back though, regardless of their gender! :P

I don't try to catch up with my other half, I just release him into the wild and go round by myself! That, or I leave him at the cafe for three hours nursing a broken wheel... :lol:
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I'd be up for that !...just depends on where as i can't drive and his nibs will have to bring me :oops:
    Caz xxxxx
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    I wouldn't say no, I've never really ridden with a group before. I'd still be a bit worried about holding people back though, regardless of their gender! :P

I don't try to catch up with my other half, I just release him into the wild and go round by myself! That, or I leave him at the cafe for three hours nursing a broken wheel... :lol:

I read about that :lol:

I'd be up for it. I've started organizing 'ladies' rides down in my area (Surrey) but would be interested in something bigger. My fella would want to come though, I expect. he likes riding with me, even though he spends a lot of time waiting for me, bless him :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Mrs Toast
    My fella would want to come though, I expect. he likes riding with me, even though he spends a lot of time waiting for me, bless him :lol:

Get him on a pink bike with a flowery pastel coloured Camelbak, and he'll be sorted! :lol:
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    Yep, would be up for that, although I have the same reservations as Mrs Toast about holding people back :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • sparrowlegs78
    It's more likely to be me holding peeps back...i still have to get off and push up some climbs !!!! :oops: :lol:
    Caz xxxx
  • SpinningJenny
    Looks like we'll all be at the back, then!! :D

• sparrowlegs78
    Indeedy lol.....who's carrying the oxygen? :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • SpinningJenny
    We should set up a route-side supply every 25 metres. Just hook it up and breathe deeply... :wink:

• lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    I may be interested but am a bit wary after my one and only outing with she cycles - It nearly killed me :oops: They did take their blokies along though and as soon as I caught up they were off again! All I wanted was a 5 min breather and as a result never stopped for 3 hours through very deep mud.

So I can assure you all you will not be at the back it will be me sat inside the oxygen tank :lol:
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    If everyone's planning to be at the back...can that work?

Sure my lady could be keen, if it's on my diesel. I'll have a word; what kind of area/distance/difficulty are you looking at?
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Mrs Toast
    Heh, reminds me of when I went on a guided demo ride with Leisure Lakes, there were a few women trying out bikes. It was my third outing on a bike after a six month break because of my knee operation, the other women were all fairly new to mountain biking, and it was a fairly nasty route in places. As all the boys raced off, we were all lingering at the back, eyeing up dodgy descents and saying 'After you, I'm rubbish', and "No, no, I'm more rubbish, after you..." :lol:

I think if we all agree it's an Ohana ride, then I think we'll all be fine!

stitchbig.gif

"Ohana means family! Family means NOBODY GETS LEFT BEHIND!" :lol:
  • lexiekay
    Well I'm certainly not the quickest either so dont think anyone needs to worry about speed. The idea was just to have a fun social ride - more a chance to meet other women who ride bikes and compare stories! Definitely not a race or anything...

As to area/distance etc, I'm open to suggestions. I'm in swindon but am happy to travel. The idea for me at first was a trail centre eg cwmcarn, but if people would prefer something else then let me know!
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    Make it Whistler and i'll have a boob job . . . . :oops: Oh wait no need
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • elPedro666
    How about Llandegla? Good facilities, choice of routes & nothing too scary to catch newer riders out.
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • Mrs Toast
    I don't mind any trail centre in mid or north Wales. I've only been to Llandegla in Wales, but would happily go again. I demand the right to walk the bobbly northshore though! :lol:
  • Ditch Witch
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    My fella would want to come though, I expect. he likes riding with me, even though he spends a lot of time waiting for me, bless him :lol:

Get him on a pink bike with a flowery pastel coloured Camelbak, and he'll be sorted! :lol:

Oh, so you've met him then!?

:lol:

wales sounds good, but I'll need plenty of notice (being a soft southerner, n'all).

Can't do July 10th (we're getting married :D )

It sounds like we're all a little slow, so that's good :) I love the downhill (not too technical, though) but I'm terrible on climbs. I'm hauling around an extra 4 or 5 stone, though :lol: Mr DW is fun to ride with. He never gets grumpy about having to wait (secretly, I think he likes being surrounded by women :lol: ).

Maybe we could organize one for down here, too? Say, Swinley or FoD?
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • elPedro666
    We could just hire a bus & tour the country - I can drive.

Who's in...? :lol:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Fab idea :D

I would totally be up for a ladies get-together - although, like everyone else, I am not usually known for my speediness (especially up hill) :?

I also reserve the right to walk anything that looks 'funny'..... :wink:

Is the plan for Wales? I live in the New Forest (about as far south as you can get) so not too far north would be appreciated!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Ditch Witch
    We can organize another one for the Forest of Dean :)

We should probably start talking about dates. If it is going to be in Wales, I'll need at least a long weekend to fit it in.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • miss notax
    Can't do July 10th (we're getting married :D )

Congratulations!

I think this is a really good idea - does anyone have any dates in mind?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• lexiekay
    what about 27th June? Gives ditch witch enough time to prepare for the wedding!
  • miss notax
    We're on holiday :(

Driving back from Scotland after a weeks mountain biking on the Saturday, and then we're got a rally on the Sunday...

Personally I am pretty booked up for the next month with the wedding season getting into full swing, but I will try and make whatever date!

• lexiekay
    erm okay, end of july some time? what dates are people free?
  • elPedro666
    sarah75 wrote:
    I also reserve the right to walk anything that looks 'funny'.....

I'll be keeping well out of your way then!
    Funny-looking Pete
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • miss notax
    :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Lexie - I certainly don't expect it to fit around my plans!!

25th / 26th July as a suggestion (after DW's wedding)??

• Ditch Witch
    Sarah, thank you for the congrats! Wedding season? What do you do? 7 weeks tomorrow and I'm still having a crisis of confidence over my wedding dress :lol:

Don't worry too much about me, chickies. I'm having 7 days off for my wedding as it's in the Lake District, so additional time off may be tight for me so soon after.

Actually, our wedding party is made up of mostly MTBers so we'll be riding in the LD from the 11th, and heading back on the 14th, I think, hitting a few riding spots on the way back, ending up in the FoD toward the end of the week. If anyone wants to meet up, that would be fun :)

Failing that, it may be August before I can swing more time off.

Please don't let me hold this up! There will be plenty more chances to hook up :)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Ditch Witch
    Pete, you can't be THAT funny looking :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • miss notax
    Sarah, thank you for the congrats! Wedding season? What do you do? 7 weeks tomorrow and I'm still having a crisis of confidence over my wedding dress :lol:

Awww! All brides always look fabulous in their wedding dresses!!

I don't do anything to do with weddings - I just have a lot of friends who are finally tying the knot this year (probably something to do with us all being the wrong side of 30!)!

• Ditch Witch
    Ah haaaa!

Well, that may be so, but I'm the wrong side of 14 stone and no hope of getting that off in 7 weeks :lol:

The dress I had gone for was just not flattering to my current figure, so I've just had a wee shop at the BHS Bridal sale, bought a matching bustier, a-line skirt (too big, which I'm going to alter to pencil) and bolero, all in merlot silk, £96 the lot, including next day delivery :lol:

At least now I have a choice. The merlot combo I can always use for something else if I decide not to use it.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk