Bianchi via nirone sora

steviedonut
steviedonut Posts: 69
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
im on a very limited budget,looking for a summer road bike just to have fun on and like the look and price of the above,the bianchi via nirone sora.
Can any one tell me anything of use regarding this bike-worth the price?overpriced?avoid at all costs?
cheers

Comments

• zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    I got a 2007 bianchi c2c nirone sora - 8 speed in aug 07. I paid £550 & got Keo pedals, a cateye wireless computer, and Shamino shoes included! (will a bit of haggling - worth considering in this current economic climate?).
    I could have got a entry level Giant or similar about 50 - 75 pounds cheaper with roughly the same spec, but it was pointed out by one or two of my mates (& the LBS) the frame on my bike is believed to be a bit better than bikes in the same price range, making it more upgradable?
    I have used it regularly come rain or shine, and have done about 3000miles in the past 18 months or so, with no problems whatsoever to report.
    Although I have upgraded the wheels for mavic's, as I found the Ambrosio w23's a bit heavy.
    In summary I say go for it!
    Zedders. :D
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • cheers mate
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    In addition to what zedders mentions about the slighlty higher cost of a Bianchi over a similar specced bike, I've read somewhere that certain names such as Bianchi tend to hold their value a bit better. Hence you might find it easier to sell on if you decide at the end of summer that this isn't for you. I've recently upgraded from a Carrera Virtuoso Aluminium bike with Sora/Tiagra combo to a new Bianchi 928 C2C and love it. Well worth the money.
  • tom3668
    tom3668 Posts: 18
    I was looking between 500-750 for my first decent road bike... and this thread raised a couple of questions... how can you tell when the wheels are too heavy? How much weight are we talking here?

The entry level Bianchi vs the 500 Specialized...(allez Double?)... what do you get for your extra 200 quid?

Cheers....
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    Sora shifters are annoying, but it seems you have to spend a fair bit to avoid them these days.
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    MegaCycle wrote:
    Sora shifters are annoying, but it seems you have to spend a fair bit to avoid them these days.

Being new to all this, i am interested in why the Sora shifters are annoying?

Dont know about the Bianchi, but i stumped up for the Specialized Allez and pick it up tonight. I shall let you know my thoughts once ive raced about on it this evening.
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Probbaly not a lot of weight. But when every ounce and gram count (for some) it can make a big difference, no?
    In my own newbie scientific way, I was slower when 'rolling' along than my mates, and ground to a holt quicker. Also when climbing and out of the saddle I felt the weight of the front wheel through the bars.
    When I changed the basic ambriso w23 wheels that came with the bike for aksiums (although still entry level) I immediately noticed the difference. They are stiffer, roll better and just 'feel' lighter. They are 'sharper' when cornering aswell. I assume the better tyres made some difference the ride also.

About sora shifters, yes they have a thumb lever, but as I haven't tried other shifters before, I have nothing to compare them too. So you get use to them and IMO there really not that bad. They only time you get annoyed so to speak is when tucked in on the drops and your looking to up the gears quickly. But I found this happens rarely for my style of riding.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • tom3668
    Ah cool... so maybe best to avoid the Bianchi in the first place if I'll end up changing the wheels anyway.... I think maybe the basic Specialized Allez Double is the way forward for me...
  • tom3668
    Oh although I liked the look of the Trek 1.5, but why is it in Lime?! It looks nasty (in my opinion)... eeeek.