Rest days

Pik n Mix
Pik n Mix Posts: 39
Hello ppl

obviously the importance of rest days are well documented, my question is regarding how regularly these should be taken

for example if i do an intensive hour ride each weekday morning then rest saturday and do a low paced epic on sunday would the saturday off be enough rest? im guessing its down to listening to your own bodys as well but are there any general rules regarding rest days.

any info would be great.

PnM

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Rule of thumb would argue "more than you're giving at the moment"

But i can't talk. I often train 7 days :)
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    It depends on how fit you are.

You sound like you could get away with just having one rest day.

In triathlon, there's a concept of rest weeks. Every fourth week, you dial down the training significantly, but not completely. It achieves the same thing.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • I've just done my first 3 full days of riding since i started back. I didn't do as much on the third day as the first but still felt less strong, so today I shall rest, tomorrow do something light and saturday probably the same. Sunday off again and do it all next week hopefully doing more.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Ditch Witch
    Just back after how long a break? If it's more than 6 months or so, I'd be inclined to just go out every other day to start, say, 2-3 weeks.

Then up it to 5 days a week.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • SleepyLea
    SleepyLea Posts: 127
    Sorry to dig up an old thread... But this is just what I was looking for. I am finding it hard to not take the bike out, (I assume this is a common side effect?). I think I will do one more ride tonight, then ask the Mr to take the shed key with him to work tomorrow!

Never riden properly, and only got the bike as a loosing weight aid, then I discovered how much fun it is. Been doing 7-8 mile a day solid, for the past 9 days, with a 15 mile jaunt thrown in too. I am doing pretty easy route, my question is... What do you do on your rest days? Just chill out? :roll: Dont think I can twiddle my thumbs!!!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    SleepyLea wrote:
    Sorry to dig up an old thread... But this is just what I was looking for. I am finding it hard to not take the bike out, (I assume this is a common side effect?). I think I will do one more ride tonight, then ask the Mr to take the shed key with him to work tomorrow!

Never riden properly, and only got the bike as a loosing weight aid, then I discovered how much fun it is. Been doing 7-8 mile a day solid, for the past 9 days, with a 15 mile jaunt thrown in too. I am doing pretty easy route, my question is... What do you do on your rest days? Just chill out? :roll: Dont think I can twiddle my thumbs!!!

Common wisdom has it that "recovery" rides are the way forward, a very "steady" paced ride, so you are not out of breath at any point. It flushes the lactic acid from the muscles and prevents you getting that burning feeling.

It's what the pro riders do on there rest days during the multi-day tours anyhew.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Ditch Witch
    Yep, just do a short ride, if you can be trusted not to carry on going :lol:

But having a day off completely is no bad thing.

Muscle builds during recovery. If you don't recover, you don't get better as fast.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    interesting read ths thread.

i ride 10 mile in the morning and 10 mile at night. to and from work basicly. i try not to ride sats but as said above i ahte siting in doors twiddling my thumbs. ride on a suday normaly up QE so that aint a easy ride.

I find some days i stuggle to ride. Had a few days last week were id idnt ride and wow i feel so much better this week.

only been riding 9 month or so. so dontthin i am doing to bad lol
  • everyday is a rest day :D
  • Pik n Mix
    Pik n Mix Posts: 39
    I've now found my optimum ride v rest days and on my rest days I don't even go near the bike. I do gardening play xbox and cook amazing creations......