Advice on upto £1000 bike

illmonkey
illmonkey Posts: 22
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Finally have access to cyclescheme and looking at a few bikes:

Scott Scale 50
Orange P7
Merlin Malt 4

I will mainly be using it for fairly flat off-road cycling, to keep fit, but every so often would like to do a bit more aggressive stuff.

There is a bit of price difference, with the Malt I could them get helmet etc within the £1000 but am unsure if I should be spending more on the bike and dip into my own pocket for the extras...

Comments

• Boardman MTB pro
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_Pro.html
    they will be available to order online in a few days time. Also is the best specced and the (pretty much) lightest bike for the price.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I reckon spend a bit less and use the left over money for some kit. A £1000 bike is a lot of machine for what I imagine when you mention "fairly flat off-road cycling", but it really depends what you mean.

From your list I'd take out the P7 because it's a pretty tough trail bike and you probably want something light and nimble.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Halfords aren't part of cyclescheme so was told I can't get the Boardman.

I went for a Genesis Core 30 for £722 from tredz. This would leave you with £280 to get a helmet, camelbak, gloves, shoes, spd's etc.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • illmonkey
    I reckon spend a bit less and use the left over money for some kit. A £1000 bike is a lot of machine for what I imagine when you mention "fairly flat off-road cycling", but it really depends what you mean.

From your list I'd take out the P7 because it's a pretty tough trail bike and you probably want something light and nimble.
    Well the usual ride I do is 15-20 miles, some tarmac, some dust trails. I'm spending more for the extra cycling I'd do. Which could be a big mixture of things.
  • Clarkii
    Clarkii Posts: 48
    I thought Halfords were members of the Cycle2Work Scheme.
  • illmonkey
    Clarkii wrote:
    I thought Halfords were members of the Cycle2Work Scheme.
    I'm under the impression there are 2 schemes (if not more) Cycle2Work and CycleScheme...
  • spongtastic
    There's loads, each shop can have it's own rather than being grouped with others.

Halfords Cycle2Work is different to Cyclescheme, wiggle have their own etc....

• illmonkey
    Great. Sounds like it might be tricky to get the right bike!

Anyway, opinions on bikes!
  • spongtastic
    get a rockhopper pro.

• llamafarmer
    I have no experience of any of the bikes you listed unfortunately, so can't help much there. Use the search function and check this forum for reviews and any of the daily "What bike for £1000" threads. Also take a look at the latest issue of What Mountain Bike, which has a big test on sub £1000 hardtails. At the end of the day though, you should try before you buy, so go and see what your LBS has to offer.

As I said though, I'd spend a bit less (£700-800) and have a bit of money left for gear if I were you. :D
  • illmonkey
    I have no experience of any of the bikes you listed unfortunately, so can't help much there. Use the search function and check this forum for reviews and any of the daily "What bike for £1000" threads. Also take a look at the latest issue of What Mountain Bike, which has a big test on sub £1000 hardtails. At the end of the day though, you should try before you buy, so go and see what your LBS has to offer.

As I said though, I'd spend a bit less (£700-800) and have a bit of money left for gear if I were you. :D
    Thanks, I'll go pick it up.

The only one I can see locally is the Scott! No where near has the Orange and Merlin is online only.

I'll look into the rockhopper pro
  • GrantyBoy
    GrantyBoy Posts: 166
    Boardman MTB pro
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_Pro.html
    they will be available to order online in a few days time. Also is the best specced and the (pretty much) lightest bike for the price.

My choice as well.
  • llamafarmer
    illmonkey wrote:
    Thanks, I'll go pick it up.

The only one I can see locally is the Scott! No where near has the Orange and Merlin is online only.

I'll look into the rockhopper pro

You can't really go wrong with a Hopper, but Boardman, Genesis and Cube are all worth a look too (all are in the WMB test).

I think the Scott Scales are quite racey, which you may or may not like.
  • illmonkey
    Went to look at the hopper yesterday. I think I'll end up with that. Seems a good all rounder for £880, so I can spend a bit on helmet etc.
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    rockhopper pro good bike
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • illmonkey
    rockhopper pro good bike
    Actually, it'd be the Rockhopper Expert. Its slightly cheaper so gives me space in the budget for accessories.
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    get a rockhopper pro.

+1 to that! just bought the 08 for less than the 09 version, which would still leave you room for the extras. It's a lovely bike :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • truespin
    truespin Posts: 155
    I absolutely love my Malt 4 '08

light, strong, fast and nimble - have absolutely no problems with it :)

But I agree this is a pretty serious bike and possibly slightly over-kill for mainly flat stuff, mine always wants to go faster than my brain likes to ;)

But if you've got the cash and HM Gov. will be paying 40% - go for it!

But the best advice is: ride all three and see what feels best, I had my mind set on other bikes until I rode a friend's Malt 4...
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    the expert is ok but tbh spec wise the pro really worth the extra cost.

i rode my mates and compared to my 08 normal rockhopper the REBA sl fork a dream.

malt 4 good bike also from reviews but lately merlin bikes are lacking a bit in value and they are out of the way so test riding can be a bit of a pain.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    lovely fork.... droool :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08