Getting Back on my Bike advice Needed Please

richf
richf Posts: 104
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have just got back into cycling I am 27 and a bit overweight.I am trying to loose weight by cycling. I have been riding every night since for a couple of weeks an average of 7 miles at (an average speed of 11mph) on canal paths, flats and some small hills. I have felt great and really enjoyed myself until today when my body just felt completely drained? (This kinda happened last week but not as bad) A guy at work suggested I wasn't eating correctly? I generally have 2 wheatabix for breakfast lunch is 3 slices of bread with ham and salad, a small bag of crisps and a club or biscuit, Dinner normally meat and potato. I then go out on the bike and drink only water, and don't eat again till morning. I haven't gone out tonight as I have no energy! Oh and I get between 6-8 hours sleep a night.

Sorry for the long post! Any help or advice greatfuly received!

Thanks
Rich

Comments

• jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    My first bit of advice would be to take rest days. If you haven't been out or done much exercise in the last few years, it can take a while for your body to adapt to the exercise again. Its important to give yourself at least a couple of rest days throughout the week at the beginning even if you feel like you could happily go out for 5 days in a row, give yourself time to recover, etc. As time goes on, you'll find you can go out more and more often without as many rest days between.

Generally, you should be eating about 2500 calories per day, do you think you are at the moment ? From the list of foods, I'd suggest you're probably under that. If you're then riding, you should definitely be having your 2500, perhaps a bit more? Try snacking a bit more throughout the day (someone with alot more knowledge than me will soon advise on what to snack on) but you may find it gives you that bit more energy for when you go out....
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree, rest is very important. I would also take an energy drink with you, or plain water with some food like fig rolls.

I would also eat when you get in - body neds protein to build up the muscles, and carbs to replace what you have depleted! pasta and fish is good.

Try riding every other day for a couple of weeks.
  • richf
    Thanks for the replies. I will try and go every other day and take an energy drink with me. Any Suggestions on which ones? Lucozade sport?

Cheers
    Rich
  • supersonic
    Lucozade Sport is a good isotonic drink - you could use that just by itself on the ride, or go for plain water and bananas/fig rolls.
  • richf
    OK, Will give that a go and see how I get on tomorrow!

Thanks
    Rich
  • supersonic
    And eat when you get in ;-)
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Start reading up on sports nutrition. It will make a massive difference to your performance.

Also make sure you're hydrated. a 1% drop in hydration means a 10% drop in performance ;)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I think it's important to take something to graze on while your riding. Some fruit, nuts, Haribo, fig rolls and Eccles cake can make a 5 minute break more enjoyable. Hydration is important but I don't advocate drinking litres just for the sake of it - a sip of water now and then is all that's necessary. For an instant fix Monster/Relentless is pretty much unbeatable providing you don't start to rely on it.

Stretching and a little protein when you get back can help muscle growth.