CO2 Pump

stevedb55
stevedb55 Posts: 52
edited June 2009 in The workshop
Can anyone recommend a good CO2 pump? Have never used one before, I have a topeak JoeBlow track pump which is great for the shed but need something light, quick and easy for the commute.

If I get a Co2 pump, does it also need to manually pump or is one cartridge ok as a "get me home" measure? my tyres are 700X28. Not sure what pressure to expect from a single gas canister.......

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I use this pump. They can use different size cartridge's but the smallest 12g one is meant to fill a road tire upto 90 psi.

Its a very expensive way to fill up your tires and I only use mine on very rare occasions ( I once had 4 punctures in one ride when out on my MTB :( )

But I would always carry a mini pump just in case you run out of CO2. You can also get normal mini pumps that can also accept an CO2 cartridge too a 2-in-1 kinda thing.

Have a search on the forum similar questions have popped up before and there is a bitta information out there on this subject.
  • kevin69
    kevin69 Posts: 87
    i have this one, which is a bit cheaper:

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/cls-tyre ... d_228.html

Its small enough to fit in a saddle bag (in two pieces).
    One cartridge will easily fill a tyre to over 90psi, and this pump takes the larger 16g ones.
  • kevin69
    kevin69 Posts: 87
    according to the wiggle page linked to by jairaj, a 16g refill
    will give you 130psi in a 700c tyre.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think as long as the pump twists onto the value so you can be sure of correct alignment and all the CO2 goes into the tire, and it has a trigger so you can control exactly when the air is released then you can go far wrong with one.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Looking to get one of those myself.

At the moment I have my Topeak Mini DGX mounted on the seat tube, and it weighs 200grams.
    Used it once to see what it was like to pump up to 90psi (the minimum inflation for the tyres I mount) and it took quite some effort.
    In the last 1000 miles I have had no punctures so I am quite keen on saving weight and effort in case of punctures buying one of these CO2 pumps.

What is the reliability in the long term? Do they work after many uses or are they rendered useless after a few times?
  • fnegroni
    In the end I decided to purchase a CO2 system.
    I bought a Giant CO2 inflator and some canisters.
    The canisters are wrapped in a soft foamy pad which actually helps when the canister gets freezing cold.
    It works really well, infact it works better than my track pump when inflating regular length presta tubes on aero rims, since the inflator gets a good grip with just a tiny length of valve exposed.
    Satisfied customer. :-)
  • The best cannister I have used is the innovations one. Just be sure to get the protective sleeve around the cannister or use gloves as it freezes your hands which hurts!
  • fnegroni
    The Giant canisters come with the protective sleeve already glued on, and are way cheaper than Innovation's.