When you can't ride, what other forms of exercise do you do?

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Seeing as I haven't been on the bike in nearly a week (work and family commitments), I have started running again, just for 30 mins, to keep ticking over.

Anyone else?

Comments

• cjms85
    cjms85 Posts: 24
    Caving and climbing mainly, although they're not things I can generally do at the drop of a hat, unlike cycling.
  • MrsT
    MrsT Posts: 15
    Wii Fit!!!!!!!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Circuit training once a week, it's a pig!!! Just started running again so hoping to run three times a week as well as the biking.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Deadeye Duck
    Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
    Used to climb a lot a few years back, bouldering more than straight up climbs, but haven't done it in years. Don't really know why I stopped in all honesty.

The only exercise I get now if I don't include cycling is probably lifting a pint to my mouth :oops:
    Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
    The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
    My Life, My Bike & My Xbox
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Running,Swimming,Hill Walking,Rollerblading (this is getting a bit emarrassing for my kids now I am 37) Rugby,Squash,Tennis.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Does sitting in front of my computer count as exercise?

In fairness, I'm pretty slack, but I tend to walk everywhere I go if I'm not riding, and due to my young age and annoying genes/metabolism, I find it very hard to put on weight, in fact I'm clinically underweight (according to BMI... psh!) but apart from cycling, I don't really do anything :/
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Golf, strangling animals, and errr... anything else that comes to hand. :)

(c) Python, M
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    farming :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I like to lift weights during the colder months. It's a leftover from my teenage years when
    I was a wannabe bodybuilder. I still enjoy it. Downhill skiing is also something of a passion for me(even at 60) although I don't get out as often as I would like. Mostly due to
    not living anywhere near the Rocky mountains or Vermont. I've just got to move.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MrsT wrote:
    Wii Fit!!!!!!!

+1

Great for my core and the physio recommends it...
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    NapoleonD wrote:
    MrsT wrote:
    Wii Fit!!!!!!!

+1

Great for my core and the physio recommends it...

i'll go with that as well .......just make sure the curtains are drawn when attempting hula hoop ....not graceful !
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh, I videod my mrs doing the hula hoop, when she turned round and saw me filming her on my mobile she went proper loco! :D
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I also do Karate but do also ride there if I get the chance, which is once or twice a week I can ride most of the time.
    Train and teach 4 times a week :)
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Indoor rowing.
    Shazam !!
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh, I videod my mrs doing the hula hoop, when she turned round and saw me filming her on my mobile she went proper loco! :D

whereas mine nearly laughed herself sick watching me ..... only to go ballistic when i returned the favour ! :twisted:
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • Anonymous
    I did martial arts for 20 years, was teaching but not getting paid, the politics p*ssed me off and the baby came along so all the evenings were taken up so I packed it in...

Do miss it sometimes, especially the full contact stuff.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I did martial arts for 20 years, was teaching but not getting paid, the politics p*ssed me off and the baby came along so all the evenings were taken up so I packed it in...

Do miss it sometimes, especially the full contact stuff.

I am luck as we are now on our own as a club and dont have the politics ( understand what you mean ), I dont get pain for most of it but I and my son train for free.

Plus it keeps me sane ( that depends on how you ask :wink: )
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Other than walk the dog, it's normally log online, drink beer, and eat pizza and donuts in that order! :D
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've also been dabbling in inline speed skating and roller skiiing in the last few years - great cross over fitness benefit and improves your quad-power. Bit of gym work in winter when away with work.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    swimmin at lunchtimes for me; aim for 40 lengths of a 25m pool so I can say I've done a kilometer. Helps with core and upper body strength / flexibility. Also helps to maintain my athlete's foot and verruca collection.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Climbing. Sport, bouldering, just getting into trad now I'm surrounded by it. Scary sea cliffs! I'm cycling less though, because of climbing; I never seem to find the time - or beat the laziness - to stay strong at both. How people manage triathlon and so on I can't imagine.
  • Anonymous
    Jake151 wrote:
    Revision...woo

I have had really no time for exercise lately and I can feel my fitness decreasing and the weight creeping up on me. I am getting out tomorrow morning tho :D

Cant wait till the 10th June where I officially finish Seconday school and bring on the extended summer holiday weyy!

Good luck Jake!!!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited May 2009
    Life has priority over cycling round here, so my last few weeks training for the Etape C consisted mainly of walking the dog, still managed to beat last year's time by 10 mins (if you subtract the stoppage time...)
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    i like to neck a couple of garys and dance to house music :D

i try to model myself on tom boonen
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Indoor rollers!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    I still think of fell-running as my main sport, though since I've started cycling to work a few days a week I actually spend more time on the bike. I'll also do weights now and again (used to do a lot when I was a rower, and I don't want your typical running/cycling physique), and I've recently discovered a basketball court just down the road from me so I get down there fairly often. The occasional game of squash is good for something different, too.
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    im a rower, get down you local rowing clubs and join a learn to row course, its BRILLIANT!!! especially this time of year. and its great crossover sport for the cycling - rowing is 75% legs you see...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I run (slowly) but managed to do my first marathon overseas last December. Aiming to do one in the UK later in the year. Haven't done any weights in over a year. I miss it but can't afford gym fees at the minute :(
  • Anonymous
    dave, I was surprised to see how many do actually cross over rowing and cycling. Especially at the top level (Sirhoy, Romero spring to mind)

I do a lot of rowing with the mrs.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Kitesurfing, surfing, climbing, running, skiing including touring in the winter and snowboarding. Occasionally I ride mini ramp on my skateboard which is surprisingly hard work.

I don't do gyms.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali