hit and run lorry

Porgy
Porgy Posts: 4,525
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
Police were called on Friday evening May 15 to the junction of Woolwich Road and the Kent-bound A102(M) in Greenwich following a collision between a lorry and a female pedal cyclist, a police spokesman said.

London Ambulance Service attended. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Police had not yet been able to establish her identity.

The lorry did not stop at the scene. It is described as having blue material (e.g. canvas, or plastic sheeting) on its side. Anyone who witnessed the collision or has information that may assist police should call the Collision Investigation Unit at Catford Traffic Garage on 020 8285 1574.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/greenwichcyclists/attachments/folder/520063293/item/667191163/view

Comments

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Oh god not another one. Condolences to all concerned. WHY is it always women and lorries?
    <a>road</a>
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Nasty corner there a lot of vehicles cut it although it is wide enough to give room.

What kind of human though does a runner leaving someone in the road. More to the point there is plenty of traffic there why didn't anyone give chase????
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Thats awful, I've cycled that junction and its not nice. Lots of heavy vehicles and cars going fast, and the lanes can be confusing for motorists, so lots of cars and trucks doing last moment lane changes with no indicators...
  • Porgy
    I had already identified this as the most likely place on my commute where i could be crushed by a lorry. Some of the drivers take terrible liberties - having placed myself in clearly seen space with plenty of room, clearly signalling my intention, I still get the occasional moron in a lorry try to get past me on the junction.

I suppose the lorry most likely got away by going up onto the motorway - and if it was clear, they'd be a long way away in minutes.

I suppose it is possible that the lorry driver didn't even know he'd hit anyone.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :( R.I.P.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Not another one, I hope they catch the driver. Fcuking coward to drive off like that.

RIP x
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Awful. RIP.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Not another one, I hope they catch the driver. Fcuking coward to drive off like that.

RIP x
    If it were an artic it's not inconceivable that if the driver didn't see the cyclist, they weren't aware they'd hit them either.

Ditto the RIP. Needlessly tragic, yet again.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    RIP.

To echo the above, it's perturbing how it's always women and lorries.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    If it were an artic it's not inconceivable that if the driver didn't see the cyclist, they weren't aware they'd hit them either.

Very true.

Horrible incident. Condolences to the family

J
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    That is terrible. Thoughts with the family.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    My sincerest condolences to her grieving family.

This was a horrendous and cowardly act. Hopefully CCTV footage will help catch the murderer. The next time someone bangs on about surveillance Britain give this some thought.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Porgy
    liversedge wrote:
    The next time someone bangs on about surveillance Britain give this some thought.

oh dear.... :roll:

let's keep politics out of this hey guys?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    liversedge wrote:
    This was a horrendous and cowardly act. Hopefully CCTV footage will help catch the murderer. The next time someone bangs on about surveillance Britain give this some thought.

How do you know what happened given that the driver hasn't been found so far? Presumably you won't bother to listen to his side of the story? Still innocent til proven guilty you'll be disappointed to hear - like others have said, it could be a pure accident; we don't yet know. Using terms like 'murderer' doesn't help anyone least of all the poor lass who was killed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    I don't want to get drawn into an argument in this thread. the thread title says it all. hit and run lorry. hit and run. lorry.

Last post from me on this.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • rolf_f
    liversedge wrote:
    I don't want to get drawn into an argument in this thread. the thread title says it all. hit and run lorry. hit and run. lorry.

The thread title does say that (though only once!) but I don't think the OP is an official mouthpiece of the plods - the quote from the Police was rather less emotive. Lets await the facts before we start lynching paediatricians. Who knows, you could well be right.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Courtesy of Greenwich Cyclists this afternoon, reporting a Met Police press statement apparently:

"A post-mortem conducted at Greenwich Mortuary today, May 18 gave the cause of death as multiple injuries.

Although the victim has not yet been formally identified we believe we are
    satisfied she is Adrianna SKRZYPIEC [30ys - 10.12.78] of the Rotherhithe
    area."

RIP. :cry:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • vanquished
    vanquished Posts: 66
    RIP

This sounded absolutely horrendous (going on posts over at LFGSS http://www.londonfgss.com/thread22068).

I hope that they can track the lorry driver down :-(
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Posted by lech on the cyclechat forum this morning. Something has to be done and done now to afford cyclists better road safety :( . I guess the piece was written by Peter Dominiczak.

Peter Dominiczak

Peter Dominiczak
    A cyclist killed in a hit-and-run crash with a lorry was about to buy a house and start a family, friends said today.
    Adrianna Skrzypiec, 31, died in Greenwich, south east London, as she was cycling home from work to one of her best friend's birthday at a local pub.
    She was hit by a lorry at the junction of Woolwich Road and the Kent-bound A102 and died at the scene. The driver of the truck did not stop and is yet to be found by police.
    Friends said today that Ms Skrzypiec had only been cycling for six months and had often complained about the stretch of road where she died in Friday's accident.
    Ms Skrzypiec, who worked as a supervisor for fashion website Net-A-Porter, moved to Greenwich from Szczecin in the north of Poland six years ago.
    Known as Adusia to her friends, she lived in Rotherhithe with her 37-year-old boyfriend, Tomek Koziolek.
    Friends said today that Ms Skrzypiec and her boyfriend, who were keen supporters of West Ham United, enjoyed travelling and had also just booked tickets for a holiday to Brazil.
    Weronika Olszewska, 32, who came to London with Ms Skrzypiec, described her today as an “incredibly lively and open person who loved life”.
    She said: “Adusia was incredibly popular and had lots of friends. She only started cycling six months ago but she took her bike to work every day. She always told us she was scared when she was cycling on Woolwich Road, especially on the junction where she died.
    “She was an incredibly careful cyclist. She always wore her helmet and she never went through red lights. We were all so shocked to hear about the crash.”
    Ms Olszewska said Ms Skrzypiec's boyfriend was struggling to cope with her death.
    “Tomek is devastated but thankfully he has a lot of Adrianna'a friends around him. The two of them loved travelling and had just booked a trip to Brazil.
    “Tomek wasn't even allowed to go and identify her body because the injuries she suffered were so bad. Now we just want the driver of the truck to come forward. We can't understand how no CCTV cameras picked up what happened.”
    She called for more cycle paths to be built in the area to prevent more deaths on the busy stretch of road.
    “The roads just are not safe enough for cyclists. People on bikes shouldn't even be on dangerous roundabouts. There should be cycle paths around them so something like this does not happen again,” she said.
    Friends said that Ms Skrzypiec's mother was too distressed by the news to travel to London and that the funeral will take place in Poland.
    Police said today that they are still investigating the accident and are examining CCTV footage from local shops. They said the lorry that hit Ms Skrzypiec had a blue plastic or canvas covering on its side and appealed for any witnesses to come forward.
    Members of local cycling group Greenwich Cyclists have placed a white-painted bicycle at the scene of the crash as a road-side memorial.
    Anyone who witnessed the collision or has information that may assist police should call the Collision Investigation Unit at Catford Traffic Garage on 020 8285 1574.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    The article above, along with a photo of Adrianna, is on the Evening Standard website:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... article.do

Really hits home when you have a picture and a name to add to story :(

RIP
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    What justice will there be once the driver is caught? Suspended sentence? A year inside?

Whatever it is it won't be enough.

Hit and run drivers should get minimum 5 years and a ban for life . If you kill some someone this rises to 10.

It sickens me how little us thought of cyclists in the eyes of law and police.
  • Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    What justice will there be once the driver is caught?

As said earlier the driver may not of known/saw the cyclist and hence why he/she didnt stop.

We really have no place to judge as we do not know what happened. Yes a loss of a life is sad, but yet again its always someone elses fault. Who was to say that the cyclist wasn't in the wrong? Esp as she was only commuting for the past 6month (which isnt long), as stated in the earlier posted article.

We dont know what happened and I reserve judgment until we do.
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • Porgy
    The article above, along with a photo of Adrianna, is on the Evening Standard website:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... article.do

There's some not very helpful comments in there saying cyclists should not be on roundabouts. Considering I have to go round this roundabout twice every day - and it's not a pleasent one - I feel cyclists have been a further undermined here. some motorists don;t need much excuse to ahve a go at us.

Actually we need more cyclists on roundabouts. Motorists should expect to have cyclists on roundabouts, should take them more slowly, make sure they use the correct lane, NOT overtake or cut up cyclists on roudnabouts, and learn to use their indicators correctly.

Perhas then deaths like this would not happen. That;s not to say I am presuming the causes of this death becasue I'm not. It's just that I see about 75% of motorists do not know how to behave around cyclists on roundabouts and need to be trained accordingly.
  • Porgy
    Rolf F wrote:
    liversedge wrote:

The thread title does say that (though only once!) but I don't think the OP is an official mouthpiece of the plods - the quote from the Police was rather less emotive. Lets await the facts before we start lynching paediatricians. Who knows, you could well be right.

OP wording came form Greenwich cyclists email. I don't see why we need to be impartial on this. We should be angry. It's the courts that should be impartial.

I did point out that the driver may not have known that he'd hit a cyclists at all, but of course this may be negligence in itself. More likely IMO the driver knows what he did a nd took off.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    OMG after seeing her photo I think I recognise her from my commute. RIP.
  • rolf_f
    Porgy wrote:
    OP wording came form Greenwich cyclists email. I don't see why we need to be impartial on this. We should be angry. It's the courts that should be impartial.

I don't see anything wrong with not being impartial - it is the kneejerk lynch mob mentality that I hate. Doesn't do any harm to wait for some facts.

As for the comments about cyclists not belonging on roundabouts etc - obviously I don't agree with that (and I think you are right about motorists lack of awareness of how to deal cyclists on them) but the person who made the comments was the friend of the girl who was killed so understandable that she might be a bit over emotive - you could hardly expect her to be otherwise. I suspect if I'd been in her shoes I'd have been calling for a ban on both lorries and cycles.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Such sad news, yet again. I hope something positive comes from this, although I'm struggling to think what that might be. RIP.
  • Porgy
    Rolf F wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    As for the comments about cyclists not belonging on roundabouts etc - obviously I don't agree with that (and I think you are right about motorists lack of awareness of how to deal cyclists on them) but the person who made the comments was the friend of the girl who was killed so understandable that she might be a bit over emotive - you could hardly expect her to be otherwise. I suspect if I'd been in her shoes I'd have been calling for a ban on both lorries and cycles.

But unfortunately the press reporting this sort of thing in such an unbalanced way plants ideas in people's heads - in this case that cyclists don;t belong on proper grown up roads.
  • Porgy
    edited June 2009
    http://www.thelondonpaper.com/thelondon ... igh-street

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said today: "We were called just before 8am to a report of a road-traffic accident between a female cyclist and a lorry in Peckham High Street.

"The woman, who is in her late 20s or early 30s, suffered hip and leg injuries and was taken to King's College Hospital where she is in a serious, but not life-threatening, condition.

The lorry driver, a man in his 40s, has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.

another female cyclist and another lorry. This time, thankfully, she hasn't died and the driver has been arrested.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Good god - just looked at the pictures. :shock:

All the best to her for a speedy recovery.

I don't understand why it's always women... there must be a reason.