Chains for singlespeeds

MrChuck
MrChuck Posts: 1,663
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm sure this has been asked before, but: is there any noticeble advantage in using a 1/8 chain over a standard 3/32 one?

42T rings seem to be easier to come by in 3/32. I'm thinking of converting my hybrid commuter and think I'm going for 16:42 and using my existing chainset.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    MrChuck wrote:
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but: is there any noticeble advantage in using a 1/8 chain over a standard 3/32 one?

42T rings seem to be easier to come by in 3/32. I'm thinking of converting my hybrid commuter and think I'm going for 16:42 and using my existing chainset.

cool fact and if you use the Miche track chain no cleaning 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I certainly haven't noticed any difference...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    As far as I'm aware, 1/8 chains are simply stronger. Probably only useful if you've got truly massive thighs and run stupidly high gearing.
  • MrChuck
    _Brun_ wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, 1/8 chains are simply stronger. Probably only useful if you've got truly massive thighs and run stupidly high gearing.

Doesn't sound like something I need to worry about then :D
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    _Brun_ wrote:

And heavier, natch.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

really???
    how so? if it's a track chain will the rain knacker it?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

really???

Yeah, I'd like more info on the non-cleaning... I have a track chain on the bowery and it seems to still get mucky.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I'm convincing myself that a 1/8" drivetrain wears better (ie lasts longer) than a 3/32 one. There's a good bit more metal on the wear-faces of the chainset and sprocket teeth and I think it's significant.
    I further think that this will be more noticeable if your "3/32" cogs are ultra-narrow ones designed for narrow chains & corncob clusters, as they will be even thinner than a nominal 3/32 would be. My experience is with traditionally cut 3/32 chainrings (ie, full thickness, no fancy ramps/missing teeth) and track sprockets, not re-purposed cassette cogs or contemporary ten-speed chansets.

If I could find 1/8" chainrings for 86mm PCD cranks. I'd be able to offer more concrete advice, but I'm not getting them custom made, nor planning to refit all my bikes just to check it out... selfish, I know! :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

really???

Yeah, I'd like more info on the non-cleaning... I have a track chain on the bowery and it seems to still get mucky.

also I want one in red
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • MrChuck
    I'd be using whatever cog comes with one of those SS conversion kits, and I've got my eye on a SS-specific ring from Thorn so wouldn't be using bits really meant for geared setups. It's better wear I was wondering about, and whether it's really worth it if it involves extra cost/hassle to begin with- a whole new track crankset (probably bigger than I'd want anyway), for instance.
  • lost_in_thought
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

really???

also I want one in red

It won't be red for long if you don't clean it...

Oh and mine's a KMC... not a Miche...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

really???

No idea but i've not cleaned it once and left it wet too and nothing no rust or muck it's like magic, I give it a quick wipe every once in a while and haven't lubed it in months, very strange for a £10 chain.

Now only £6.84
    http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... PISTA.html

special heat-treated steel, nickel plated. maybe that has something to do with it.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    Ahhhhh but it's not a half-link. I like half-links...
  • MrChuck
    Went for a SRAM PC1 in the end, will see hwo we go.

Edit: Or maybe even how we go.