Need a saddle

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I think a new saddle is overdue.
3515461798_7724cb951e.jpg

I want it to be cheap, fast and light, of couurse! Must be able to take the rain
What do people recommend?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2009
    People who respond to your thread will be recommending many different saddles. The problem is you don't know which one will suit YOUR bum. The correct saddle is the cyclist's holy grail ....

The Charge Spoon isn't expensive at 20 quid or less, popular saddle and it's not hard to see why. You might find yourself selling it if it doesn't suit you, but that's the game.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-09-34369 is tempting me personally though I quite like my WTB I think its called. :) The latter came with my Kona
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for spoon
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    +1 for what giant mancp said. i just wish the various brands would do specialized gel pad or something similar so youre buying this and that saddle to find out which one works the best. anyways it will be frustrating scrolling through mixed reviews for saddles and trying to choose a saddle you sit on or one you sit in. possibly you may want to stay with the brand youve used for quite a long time.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Another one for the Charge Spoon. :)

Honestly a great saddle - and it's only £20! If your bum doesn't agree you can just stick it on eBay.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I think when people recommend a particular saddle it would be very useful if they state what sort of distances they usually ride. Is a Charge Spoon good for a 100 miler? If you are typically doing only 10 miles, or commuting then IMHO any old saddle should do within reason.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Arione.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I have a charge spoon and I don't get on with it. Used twice, yours for a tenner.
  • bompington
    I've noticed the Spoon gets good reviews, I think I might look for one.
    The big question: Etape Caledonia coming up in less than a week, would a new saddle be a good idea - or a very risky one? Does it take your bum a long time to get used to a saddle even if it's a good fit?
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    If the old saddle is still comfy albeit a bit tatty - i'd stick with it and change after the event. You don't want to be 40m in and find you can't sit down for the pain.

I've yet to find a saddle i like and i've tried a fair few. There's little point in offering advice on specific saddles as everyone is different. I can tolerate my current saddle rather than loving it.

In my experience there is certainly an adaptation period. Just yesterday i went out for a short ride on my fixie which has a saddle on which previously i've done 4 hours rides and it was killing me almost instantly. I put this down to using the geared bike so much this year for 6 or 7 hour rides that my behind has become used to i's saddle.. I still go through periods on a long run where it feels uncomfortable at times, but not all the time.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    bompington wrote:
    I've noticed the Spoon gets good reviews, I think I might look for one.
    The big question: Etape Caledonia coming up in less than a week, would a new saddle be a good idea - or a very risky one? Does it take your bum a long time to get used to a saddle even if it's a good fit?

Well tbh if it were me, a week is leaving it late. If you do get another one now, you might not get on with it. I don't know what kind of distance the Etape Caledonia is, but I think you're chancing it with a new one.

You could do a lot worse than take Garry H's Spoon off him for a tenner, or use your present San Marco eh? If it's not painful to ride on then why not? :lol: Modern saddles don't actually wear in as such (with the exception of Brooks of course), but you're right, it's your bum adjusting and getting used to the saddle.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My bike came with a Filante saddle (seems that's the default for bikes from Epic) but I always thought it looked too small, and anything over 20 miles would have me shifting around all over the place and standing up to alleviate the discomfort, and shrivel my genitals to an alarming degree.

I went for a Spoon after reading several positive comments on here, and I have to say I have been very pleasantly surprised. Longest ride to date has been 40 miles / 3 hours, but that was in complete comfort. Hopping on the bike the following day was also without any sign of tenderness, so I'm sure it will be good for longer rides.

Best 18 quid I ever spent.
  • TrekTom
    TrekTom Posts: 45
    I've just got the Charge Spoon, so another recommendation here. I was for the Ti, which probably doesn't make much of a difference but i like titanium :) .

But for the price it's a great saddle.
    Giant Anthem X
    Trek 1.7
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The fizik saddles do break in a bit, obv. not as much as a brookes though.

The wingflex needs a few rides to crack and soften up, so if you get a bit of chaffing initially keep at it for a couple of weeks.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I have a Fizik Arione on my race bike - lovely saddle, but pricey. I got on with it straight away and did 100 miles no bother on its debut. Only thing I would say against it is that the bloody nose of it is quite sharp and its easy to knock yourself on it stop/starting at lights.
  • scruffyduncan
    scruffyduncan Posts: 246
    rolls san marcos are brilliant, the best saddles I've ridden on.
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    Have used Original Selle Italia Flite for 4 years and was great - then I bought a Fizik Arione and it killed me after the 3rd ride, so back to Flite. I think the real leather on Flite for me is the ideal thing.
  • doktorsteve
    doktorsteve Posts: 112
    I just swapped my Charge Spoon for a Rido!
    Whoopee!
    Thats 3 I have now. 2 black and 1 blue.
    Do I get the luminous green one next?
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • airone
    airone Posts: 20
    I enjoy both my Brooks B17 and my Specialized Toupe Ti, both very different budgets (sub £50 and £80 if I remember correctly). My bum got used to both of them in no time, but then it may be down to me.
    I had noticed the Charge Spoon on Wiggle, and was very tempted too, but then I received the Brooks call of authenticity, and I went for it.
  • bompington
    Thanks for all the advice, I went for the Spoon & fitted it - just in time for the Etape C! Happy to say it was dead comfy & I'm very pleased with it - didn't get any tacks in it either...