Weekend Weather

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
This weekend's weather forecast is looking decidely wet and windy :cry: . Not the best weekend for cycling.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    The last three days i have been pissed on going to work & going home ... My hair would be ruined if i had any !!!
  • Nifkin
    Nifkin Posts: 52
    All flippin week BBC Weatherview has been saying it's gonna be p*ssing it down day in day out across London and the SE, so I've been a bit tentative about getting the wheels out; However... besides a spot of drizzle overnight last nite, it's been as dry as a gnat's chuff round these parts for days.... sometimes it's just as annoying when the weathermen fuck it up the right way!

Squiffy Niffy :twisted:
    He's the Chungwit, the biff-boff and the puff pastry hangman
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    i was in london on thurs night (well i say london, i was actually in aldershot) and it absolutely poored it down in the evening and overnight, it was raining on wed as well, then i came back north to leeds and the weather seemed to follow with very violent thunder storms last night, not a good time to be cycling.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    It's windy, cold and just about to p iss down. :?

Where's this hot summer wev'e been promised. :evil:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    It was so nice this morning... Finishing at 4 and the sky is just starting to cloud over.... :evil:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The following webite is good at checking the future rain:

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

I think it is the Dutch metoffice, but the rainfall radar is smoother animated than the UK metoffice.

And covers Europe
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I'm currently debating on whether or not to break the bike out for a quick whirl round Richmond Park.

I did get stuck there once in the middle of quite a big thunderstorm (thunder and lightning flash at the same time type), I put my bike out in the open and went and laid flat on the ground a good way away from it, and any trees.

Exciting and scary at the same time.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    BBC weather forecasting has always been hit and miss - 1987 hurricane a case in point.
    ITV local weather forecasts seem to be the most accurate and reliable IMHO.
    It's peeing down at the mo and trees bent over sideways. We need the rain for the garden though.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Whoever predicted crap Surrey Hills weather for Sunday morning was right on the money :cry: I took overshoes, leg and arm warmers, which I then left in the car, as it was suuny when I set out. :(
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    We were promised light showers in the morning, sunny spells in the middle then heavy showers later. We got heavy rain all morning, sunshine whilst in the cafe, then cloudy and windy on the way home. It is now hissing it down.

It's not fair :x

Now trying to dry shoes and gloves, the rest are in the w/m.

It's not fair :x
    The older I get the faster I was
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    prj45 wrote:
    I'm currently debating on whether or not to break the bike out for a quick whirl round Richmond Park.

I did get stuck there once in the middle of quite a big thunderstorm (thunder and lightning flash at the same time type), I put my bike out in the open and went and laid flat on the ground a good way away from it, and any trees.

Exciting and scary at the same time.

I've considered doing that myself, several times i've been caught out in a sudden thunder storm usually on the top of a hill with nothing around apart from me riding along on a lump of metal :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Whoever predicted crap Surrey Hills weather for Sunday morning was right on the money :cry: I took overshoes, leg and arm warmers, which I then left in the car, as it was suuny when I set out. :(

So that rain dance of mine worked then :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    itboffin wrote:
    I've considered doing that myself, several times i've been caught out in a sudden thunder storm usually on the top of a hill with nothing around apart from me riding along on a lump of metal :shock:

Well, I just got back after a 16 miler. Blowy but no thuderstorms or rain.

Now sitting in front of the computer with the contents of a good two thirds my my local Sainsburys Local chiller cabinet in front of me (never go to a Sainsburys local after a bike ride).
  • Toptube531
    Toptube531 Posts: 13
    Leeds>>>Hemsley>>>Leeds>>>99miles>>>0700-1245.
    Sunny/fair/strong headwind on return ride.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    all ready this morning to go out for ride and starts spitting, ah weather forcast will be wrong and will pass shortly

oh how wrong i was, got drnched and when stopped in saisburys for some lunch to cook when i got home everyone just gave me the look of "are you mad" anyway glad i did it and at least it werent too cold
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'm about to hang my laundry out. Watch the skies darken... :shock:
  • prj45

Why don't you think for one second about lighting a BBQ too, or even light one, I like a good thunderstorm with hail and heavy rain.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    prj45 wrote:

Why don't you think for one second about lighting a BBQ too, or even light one, I like a good thunderstorm with hail and heavy rain.

To hell with it - go wash the car and the windows as well... then watch your neighbours houses gently drift past on the newly widened river....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    rainfall radar is my friend...

Of course, with commuting it just tells me that I will get wet.

However, I do use it to decide on outdoor leisure activities.