recovery drinks?

2»

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I think recovery drinks are all a load of rubbish, I've never found that any of them ever make any difference over having a glass of water and some food, I usually eat Banana's before and after a ride, and drink plain old water during.

I've never felt any performance increase from drinking these "special formula's" in my water when on a ride, I am just as thirsty and just as tired and get up the hills just as quick. May work for others, but I'm not convinced and for the price of what they are its just not worth it IMO!
  • J4m1e
    J4m1e Posts: 3
    I usually eat bananas and granola bars while out on a ride and just drink water. Recently tho i have been taking a bottle of Gatorade out as well, but only as it was half price for a 4 pack in Sainsburys. It does seem to make a bit of a difference i think. But then that might be the Oatso simple i usually have when i get in.
  • deeptheory
    deeptheory Posts: 76
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Aye thats stupid. how do they expect to sell anything without an ingredients list!

http://www.mybikefood.com/bikefood_nutrition_values.html
  • deeptheory wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Aye thats stupid. how do they expect to sell anything without an ingredients list!

that wasn't there last week :wink:
  • deeptheory
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    deeptheory wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

that wasn't there last week :wink:

:D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd rather have a pint of tomato juice and a banana.

Or better still, make a pasta/tune/tomato meal and sip water half an hour after the ride.
  • you put music in your pasta?!! :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Haha, well it is italian style!!!
  • deeptheory
    any good for hangovers?
  • for goodness shakes does it for me every time...the choc is the best tasting one..try them
  • deeptheory
    arnie-77 wrote:
    Have you seen this http://www.mybikefood.com

Its an 'all in one' for use before =, during and after - an energy drink with protein (glutamine and branched chain amino acids) for recovery and muscle support.

I started using it the other month after getting hold of a free sachet. They then sent me an email offering to exchange my old waterbottle for their new ones (check out the bottle exchange page http://www.mybikefood.com/exchange/ ), so I did that and also got some extra free sachets that they sent me alongwith the botttles!

Saves me having to buy quality energy drinks and recovery shakes, I was previously using Rego Rapide as a recovery shake but it works out pricey if you are doing drinks as well plus its got lots of artificial stuff in it, something Bikefood claims it has not...

Good for washing down a post ride banana or cake too.

sent three bottles in a week and half ago and they came back yesterday. havent had a chance to try the mix they sent although 2 out of the 3 satchets were split.

need some more powder though so in the meantime just going to pick up the berry powerbar mix which i have found had done me well in the past.
  • arnie-77
    arnie-77 Posts: 61
    split sachets isn't much good! Although I had no problems with mine...

How long did it take for your bottles to be returned as I see they now have a backlog of a couple of weeks due to demand...
    "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." A. Einstein
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    I've been training quite hard for a while now and for me i use what bodybuilders swear by, typically 50g of dextrose and a good protein blend in water, with your main meal about an hour afterwards, works very well i can feel myself bouncing back faster.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I use Allsports International Amino Load immediately after training or racing and have found that I don't suffer from aching muscles as much as I used to.

http://www.allsports-online.co.uk/allsports.cgi
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • deeptheory
    arnie-77 wrote:
    split sachets isn't much good! Although I had no problems with mine...

How long did it take for your bottles to be returned as I see they now have a backlog of a couple of weeks due to demand...

like i said around a week and a half... :wink:
  • arnie-77
    arnie-77 Posts: 61
    sorry dude, should take more care to read the posts...

I exchanged bottles a few months back and got the new ones by return post. On the latest email I got I see there is currently a delay of a good few weeks so I'm holding off before I send in the next lot. I must say however I am very impressed with Bikefood, not just because of getting new bottles for free(ish) although probably would not be too happy my sachets had split... ![/quote]
    "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." A. Einstein
  • deeptheory
    arnie-77 wrote:
    sorry dude, should take more care to read the posts...

I exchanged bottles a few months back and got the new ones by return post. On the latest email I got I see there is currently a delay of a good few weeks so I'm holding off before I send in the next lot. I must say however I am very impressed with Bikefood, not just because of getting new bottles for free(ish) although probably would not be too happy my sachets had split... !
    [/quote]

Oddly enough i havent had an email yet. To be honest i'm not that fussed about the sachets. Was going to email them but i got that tub of PowerBar yesterday and it was like a kick up the arse when i was sipping that heading west upto consett on the c2c this dinnertime.