Edvald Boasson Hagen

MagnusW
MagnusW Posts: 6
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Hi guys! I am new to this forum. Looking forward to spending some time here. :D

What do you guys think of Edvald Boasson Hagen? He has really suprised me in Giro d'Italia! His capacity in the sprint is massive, and he has proved to be a capable climber aswell. He really embarrassed Hunter, Brutt and Bertolini at stage 7!

I think he has a great future in front of him.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He's an amazing talent. I'm not sure what he's best suited to yet but he's a fantastic rider (and I hate his team)

And he amuses the hell out of me by how little he knows about cycling...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • MagnusW
    MagnusW Posts: 6
    What do you mean? He knows little about cycling? :P
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    never mind EBH.... Brutt has no race head at all.. he has a habit of inappropriate efforts in breakaways

stage 7 was not the first time he has messed up... blew himself up on a small un-categorized climb for no reason at all riding with voigt in a tour break last year IIRC

EBH= new cancellara without the tester addon (though i imagine he can ride against the clock)

cancellara is going like a box of spanners this year
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tootler
    Tootler Posts: 53
    I think he is going to be a mega star.

"wonderful...wonderful...Boasson Hagen" - I think David Harmon came out with that during the Tour of Britain in 2007.

As for his cycling knowledge, I think he says that he never used to watch cycling or follow it as a kid so his knowledge is only limited to the past few years.
  • iainf72
    "Sean Kelly? Sorry, I am not so good with cycling history. I just want to race." - Boasson Hagen
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    never mind EBH.... Brutt has no race head at all.. he has a habit of inappropriate efforts in breakaways

stage 7 was not the first time he has messed up... blew himself up on a small un-categorized climb for no reason at all riding with voigt in a tour break last year IIRC

It's not just Brutt, Mikhail Ignatiev is the same. When he first came on the scene, he won 3 or 4 decent races with well-timed late attacks, but since then, nothing. He just seems to pick the most inappropriate breaks possible, usually on long flat days in the first couple of days of a GT - ie, breaks with precisely no chance of survival.

Back to EBH, Sean Kelly (who he?) was talking about him today and didn't rule out the possibility of him being a grand tour rider. Right now he's only 37th overall, and was keeping pace with Leipheimer on the climb today. He had to let go shortly before the top, but it was still very impressive.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    He's going to be a thinner lighter Cancellara.

*taps nose*
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:
    It's not just Brutt, Mikhail Ignatiev is the same. When he first came on the scene, he won 3 or 4 decent races with well-timed late attacks, but since then, nothing. He just seems to pick the most inappropriate breaks possible, usually on long flat days in the first couple of days of a GT - ie, breaks with precisely no chance of survival.

I think it's because his tricks became more widely known and he gets marked a bit better so he ends up in lame breaks.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    All this and he is only 21...well he was - it is actually his 22nd dirthday today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    He was a big favourite at the junior worlds a couple of years ago but he didn't get the expected result - only a top 10. It'll be interesting to see how he develops - even at 21 the great champions were placing / winning their first GTs - it's only in recent years that have gone against the grain, but that's another debate.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    No matter how good he does or doesn't become, he has been fantastic viewing this last week. Hopefully there is more to come.
  • PHIAN
    PHIAN Posts: 15
    Met him at the tour of Britain last year in Darlington, after his efforts in Dalby Forest. Top man, and a big talent for the future I'm sure..
    www.phiancarbon.eu Carbon Cycle Components
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    iainf72 wrote:
    He's an amazing talent. I'm not sure what he's best suited to yet but he's a fantastic rider (and I hate his team)

What he did in stage 8 clearly demonstrated the opposite. He was sprinting for the line, staying behind Rogers, but when Di Luca overtook Rogers, Boasson Hagen accelarated to take the time bonus.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    This guy could be a new Sean Kelly. Great sprint, but not all out Cipo, great climbing, but may find the really huge ones out of his range, massive engine, stamina for really long events and hard as nails (which of course aren't as hard as Kelly).

And a nice guy to boot.

i'm with Iain on this one. I can't help liking him and Lovqvist and for my sins Cavendish, but I can't stand cuddly Bob and the Columbia team as a whole.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Timoid. wrote:
    This guy could be a new Sean Kelly. Great sprint, but not all out Cipo, great climbing, but may find the really huge ones out of his range, massive engine, stamina for really long events and hard as nails (which of course aren't as hard as Kelly).

And a nice guy to boot.

i'm with Iain on this one. I can't help liking him and Lovqvist and for my sins Cavendish, but I can't stand cuddly Bob and the Columbia team as a whole.

But thats a third of the Giro team you like! I dont like em either but i dont know why I just dont.
  • jwebber86
    jwebber86 Posts: 42
    watch him on the highlights of the tour of britain last year looks quite a good rider and will only get better
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    csp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

What he did in stage 8 clearly demonstrated the opposite. He was sprinting for the line, staying behind Rogers, but when Di Luca overtook Rogers, Boasson Hagen accelarated to take the time bonus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this hurt Rogers more than help him?
    If Di Luca comes second and Rogers comes third then Di Luca gets +12" and Rogers gets +8", but as it was, Di Luca got +8" and Rogers got nothing.

Also, I don't think EBH waited for DDL to catch Rogers before accelerating, cos it was a photo-finish for 3rd/4th.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I didn't say he was helping Rogers. At the time Lövkvist was still second in the GC, so by taking 2nd place he made sure Di Luca gained less on Lövkvist.