Which is best upgrade & why?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Which gives you best return for your money and why would it be the priority?

Of course you make the assumption it’s a "middle of the road bike" excuse the pun!

Just for fun would it be:

1. Tyres

2. Rear Mech

3. Saddle

4. Wheels

5. Group set

6. Stem

7. Bars

8. Seat post

9. Pedals

Flyer

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Assuming the bike has flat pedals, I would say changing them to clipless would give you the best improvement, due to the focusing of your power through the cleat area, and also the ability to pull on the upstroke.

Otherwise, I reckon it would be wheels.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Wheels every time - can transform the way a bike handles and rides - everything else is just trimmings.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Tyres - faster rolling / grippier
    Wheels - lighter
    Saddle - comfort rather than weight, and only if the current one is causing problems

Beyond that, save up for a new bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Going to a good LBS and making sure your bike fits properly
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537

That's not playing by the rules! :wink:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    As bobtbuilder enquired IF the pedals are ordinary flatties it would IMHO be a toss up between them and wheels. If the pedals are clipless anyway, wheels everytime.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Anonymous

Sorry! In that case, carbon fibre bottle cages.

Just awesome!
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    NapoleonD

You are so funny!

Flyer
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'd say saddle - if the one that comes on the bike doesn't fit your botty bones then shaving 100g somewhere is of less important as being comfortable
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    If it's a 'middle of the road' bike then surely the best upgrade is to just buy a better bike? Seriously. I upgraded the BB, chainset, front forks, seatpost, saddle, pedals and even put new bar tape and CF cages on my last bike. My new Bianchi sh1ts all over it in terms of comfort AND performance.

Failing that, if you must stick with the same bike, for the price of a reasonable set of wheels a good turbo trainer and/or heart rate monitor will reap rewards without having to get your hands dirty.
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    For out and out 'it just feels better' I'd go with wheels - but can't agree with Edhornby more - switching to a saddle that you don't dread getting on is worth its weight in gold!
  • Anonymous
    In order of importance for me -

Fit

Comfortable Saddle

If using flats then clip in pedals

Wheels

Groupset

Finishing kit.

The best thing though is to get a better bike that ticks all the boxes! A better frame will ride better, be more responsive/more comfortable or if you're lucky both, be stiffer and probably lighter too. The OEM stuff that comes on them usually makes it a more cost effective way of doing it too...
  • Anonymous
    New wheels are no good if your bike doesn't fit and is uncomfortable to sit on...
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    NapoleonD wrote:
    New wheels are no good if your bike doesn't fit and is uncomfortable to sit on...

Technically getting a correct fit isn't an upgrade, its an essential purchase at the start.
  • Anonymous
    Sorry for not being technically correct. I was talking about fine tuning, MOR bikes usually come with set stem lengths, a change of 10mm from the standard one can make a big difference. A good, comfortable saddle makes the biggest difference in my opinion.

I'm speaking from experience, I upgraded the wheels on my first bike before getting it to fit perfectly and sorting a good saddle out. The new wheels were great but I couldn't ride it for more than an hour because I couldn't get comfy.

Once the stem was sorted and I got a comfortable saddle it transformed my riding immensely, not least I could ride all day in comfort...

WRT pedals, I'm using flats at the moment and there is a big difference when climbing compared to my Look pedals. Moreso than between my Open Pros and my Carbon wheels.

Then wheels and tyres are a very good upgrade.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Fit is such an emotive issue, what works for one isn't right for another, for instance a good racing position is no good for a tourer and visa versa. However upgrading is right for anything, better touring wheels or racing ones will always be a good way to go if all other things being equal are sorted. Have to agree with others here, I always recommend to beginners at work who are taking up cycling that clipless pedals and shoes should be the first purchase.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Speaking as someone who dragged his £80 supermarket special out of the garage in 2007, after it had been sat there for 5 years, (don't blame me the misses wanted matching bikes at the time & yes she has never riden hers), I then got a bianchi road bike a few months later and got rid of the supermarket special. I can safely say upgrade the whole bike! It worked for me. :D
    The bianchi is about 18 months old now, and again I'm upgrading the whole bike. If it worked before..... :lol::lol::lol:
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Chamois Cream - it changed my life, man...
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    +1 Sudocrem, the cyclists friend.

Although not strictly on the OP, properly fitting and appropriate clothing. Certainly the choice of bib-shorts has made a difference :oops:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    NapoleonD wrote:

Sorry! In that case, carbon fibre bottle cages.

Just awesome!

I got carbon fibre bar ends.
    Now i fly up those hills!