Bianchi sizing for a tall rider...

nimchimpsky82
nimchimpsky82 Posts: 82
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
One of the bikes I'm looking at at the is the Bianchi Via Nirone 7. It's quite easy to find this in 61cm frame size, but I gather from the Bianchi website that they actually make them up to 63 -- which, however, I can't seem to find in the UK shops.

I'm 6'6" tall, inseam length about 38" measured in the way the cycling websites tell me to (36" for jeans). It strikes me that since some manufacturer don't even go up to 63cm (Orbea's largest frames are just 60), 61cm might be OK :?: :?: Any thoughts welcome!

(I *really* like Bianchi's celeste colour but wanna make sure it'll fit properly :?)

Comments

• jon208
    jon208 Posts: 335
    Hi, I have the exact same bike that you're looking at. I've owned it for over a year now and love it. It rides brilliantly, comfortable over really long distances but can also be pressed into use for timetrials.

The thing you need to be aware of is that Bianchi size their bikes in a slightly odd way. The measurement you're quoting it a virtual one, if you took a tape measure to that 63cm bike the actual size would be 60cm. All but the 63 have "real" seat tube lengths that are 3cm shorter than the quoted down tube length. Probably best to have a look at the geo charts on the Bianchi website.

I'm 6'1" and ride a 61cm frame. It has a measured downtube length of 58cm and is the same size as a friends 58cm Spesh Allez when you put the two side by side.

In all honesty it's a little too big for me, I should have bought a 59cm (i.e. 56cm) but this was my first road bike and at the time I didn't really know what I was doing! I've got the saddle about as low as is reasonable (around 14cm of post showing) and have swapped the stem from a 120 to 100. I'm comfortable on it but when I get round to building my dream superbike (Bianchi HOC 928 SL) I'll be buying a 59cm frame.

I'm sure a 61cm will fit you fine, I take 34" jeans so our leg length isn't that different. Basically you need to try one out before buying but I suspect you'l br OK.

Great bike in my opinion, worthy of upgrades in the future. Mine's just been treated to a set of Campag Zondas and the Veloce is being slowly replaced with Centaur.

Make sure you get one with a Campag group, Shimano on a Bianchi is just wrong, oh and it it HAS to be celeste! :wink:

Hope that helps.

Jon
  • Thanks Jon -- what you say about sizing helps a lot! I've also been told (noob that I am) that the thing to look for with modern frames as much as, or even more than, seat tube length, is effective top tube length. In the case of the Bianchi, this is 59.5cm (http://www.bianchi.com/common/products2 ... s_Road.pdf), which is the same as that on an XL Giant Defy 1, and only 5mm less than on a 61cm frame Spesh elite or 63cm Cannondale CAAD9.

Am also happy to hear you're so pleased with this bike. I'd also be tempted to pay a wee bit more and get the Veloce group rather than the 105, as it's only a bit more money, and I gather from this forum and elsewhere that this Campy really is a notch above the Shimano.

Oh yeah, and Celeste it would have to be 8)

Off to t' shops now -- hopefully I can find somewhere that stocks a 61 frame.