Riding in dull weather!?

mr.g
mr.g Posts: 36
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
I've just bought a Bianchi 928 Mono-Q and was wondering if i should take it out in the not so nice weather?

Would it do any harm to the bike? I'm dying to get back on it and clock up some serious mileage but am worried about damage. Is it easy to fall off in the rain?

Many thanks

G

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    If it rains, you'll get wet :lol:

It's not acid rain :wink:
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    As long as its not to cold, riding in the rain is fine. I sometimes find it refreshing. :o Just take your time on corners etc and you'll be fine.
    As for your bike, my bianchi has been out in all sorts of weather. Just spend ten minutes giving it a clean and then dry it off and lube up the chain etc, and you should keep 'damage or wear and tear' down to a minimum. :)
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I didn't see a dry road from November to April last winter, you wouldn't do many miles in Scotland if you didn't go out in the wet!
  • mr.g
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be out on it later then! :)

G
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've just googled your bike and now I'm slathering..... mmmmm bianchi.....

get out and give it some beans !!! :-)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Did 25 miles in torrential rain this morning, smashin!!!
    Nice warm rain, very refreshing.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Nice bike!

You obviously have to be more careful in the rain but if you're sensible you should be fine. The one thing to watch out for particularly is patches of oil, especially if it's rained for the first time in a week or so which causes all the spillages from that time period to 'surface' forming lovely slicks.

Also, when you come in from the rain, you might want to wipe some of the surface water off your bike. If you let it sit it may rust any exposed metal.

Matthew
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I had a great ride in the rain yesterday. Had a lot less braking power so had to be careful, but found it really refreshing and a lot more fun than I used to find the MTB in bad weather.

Give the bike a wipe down after and make sure you clean and re-lube the chain after a wet ride. Other than that you'll be fine
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Went out tonight for a 20 mile loosener and the heavens opened about 5 miles in, a real monsoon into a strong wind with another 6 or so to go before the swing round to head back with a following wind. It's one of the most enjoyable forms of riding, flying along at a steady 30-32mph, soaked to the skin with a following wind and an inch or so of standing water on a lot of the road. I'd recommend it. Give the bike a wipe down and a squirt of lube on the exposed bits and it'll be okay.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Personally I try to avoid riding in the rain. It's just no fun. Stings the eyes, wet clothes, wet, dirty bike. Pain to clean, etc.

But that's a personal preference and I'm a bit of girl when it comes to that. ;)

Nothing wrong with riding in the rain if you can put up with it.
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    Horses for courses. Personally I like a spot of rain - refreshing and makes me feel good knowing i'm out battling the elements. Watch your corners in the wet and road markings/white lines etc - can become like a skating rink out there.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I`m with pokerface,riding in heavy rain is horrible.Have you all gone mad?The worst thing is the wet feet,the brakes hardly work and manhole covers and oil patches are deadly.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    If there are clear chances of rain, just carry shoe covers and rain jacket in your jersey's back pocket.

Just make sure you stop top put them on when it does rain. Or you'll get very wet: not a big deal if it's hot, but not great when windy.

A good set of tyres that handle well in rain helps.

I now have a conti GP4000S at the front and it handles a lot better than my previous Pariba Revolution. 30 miles in the rain was its very first ride and it handles beautifully.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Can anyone reccommend some packable overshoes that aren`t warm just water resistant?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • mr.g
    Wow....thanks for the replies. I did go out afterwards and it was raining, dull and windy. It did detract from the ride but then again i felt better for making the effort and actually getting out there.

Yea my bike is nice. I previously had a Scott CR1 team and this thing for me is far far better!

Such a comfy ride, really really is. I'm so happy with it. I need something right now to focus my mind and the bike is it. It's just a shame that the recent weather has been a nightmare!

G
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    Can't overemphasise the braking aspect. If it's wet when you go out you will get a feel for braking efficiency from the start. Don't get caught out if it's dry when you start but gets wet afterwards, your braking efficiency will drop substantially and you need to be prepared for it.
    O na bawn i fel LA