City Commuting

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Now then, following the road rage and commuting accidents threads, I thought it might be good to try to redress the balance somewhat.

I personally commute in London, and really enjoy it. I don't feel afraid, don't feel threatened, don't find it a stressful situation at all.

So, I'm wondering, do other city (not necessarily London) commuters feel the same?

EDIT: Sorry this is a bit city-commute-centric, but TBH that's rather the point...

Comments

• kyoukoku
    kyoukoku Posts: 105
    Now then, following the road rage and commuting accidents threads, I thought it might be good to try to redress the balance somewhat.

I personally commute in London, and really enjoy it. I don't feel afraid, don't feel threatened, don't find it a stressful situation at all.

So, I'm wondering, do other city (not necessarily London) commuters feel the same?

+1 I'm with you on that. :wink:
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    My commute is very citified despite being in bumpkinland.

From my house to work there are at least 3 huge roundabouts (with 2-3 lanes leading into and out of each entry/exit), a long section of dual carriageway, lots of peds, lots of cars (often lane-hopping at speed), cars parked on the bike lanes ("My hazards are on, I can park anywhere!"), buses playing chasey-overtakey-games with me, large intersections (4 lanes wide) where the bike lane appears IN THE MIDDLE(!), and generally hazards everywhere, human or otherwise.

Am loving it anyway :)

Once you know the rules of all the complicated bits, know the signals and what the cars are likely to do, and generally behave well signalling all intentions other than carrying on forwards.... it's not bad at all.

I get mardy when I don't ride in, now.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Get the occasional twunt but on the whole unless they actually physically hurt me it's not enough to mar the enjoyment of more then doubling their average speed :-)
    In all honesty I think it's the excitement and adrenaline rush you get from riding on busy roads that I'm hooked on, my longest commute is on much quieter roads then central London and I can find that a *bit* boring sometimes........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Seems pretty positive so far! :)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I like it, much more so than the 1 day a week I do on PT. OK, I've been knocked off a few times but I mostly bounce. We whinge but, on the whole, drivers are much more considerate of cyclists than they were a few years ago.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I have recently switched my commute to avoid skimming Reptile Scales (a part of Edinburgh). Replaced with rural/hills.

Soooo much better.

Honestly, for me, the mental image that "cycling" produces is of an open road without any cars on it. City cycling is the best way to commute into a city. But its still a commute, and its still a city. If you don't like cities all that much, its kind of hard to be too enthusiastic about riding through them.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I voted 1- fun & de-stressing.
    It takes me roughly the same time to cycle to work as to drive, is much more enjoyable and I get into work feeling envigorated. My only gripe is lack of competition!
    Misguided Idealist
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I have recently switched my commute to avoid skimming Reptile Scales (a part of Edinburgh). Replaced with rural/hills.

Soooo much better.

Honestly, for me, the mental image that "cycling" produces is of an open road without any cars on it. City cycling is the best way to commute into a city. But its still a commute, and its still a city. If you don't like cities all that much, its kind of hard to be too enthusiastic about riding through them.

:lol: Don't think I've heard it called that before! Are you heading into town from outside then?

City commuting is more interesting than country ride, but a lot less pretty to look at, I guess. I think it's de-stressing because it uses a bit of your brain, while the rest it free to think about something else... Oh, and whizzing through the gridlocked traffic is always good.

PS it was just a bit grey when I left this morning. Am looking out at lowering dark clouds...
  • lost_in_thought
    Who was none of the above? Country commuter?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    I like it, much more so than the 1 day a week I do on PT. OK, I've been knocked off a few times but I mostly bounce. We whinge but, on the whole, drivers are much more considerate of cyclists than they were a few years ago.

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    edited May 2009
    I would rather ride and put up with the occasional plonker than use the bus....

besides...it means i am awake when i get to work and have forgotten all about work when i get home!

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • tardington

As poll author, don't you have a wee button to see a breakdown of votes? It might be very small!
  • lost_in_thought
    tardie wrote:

As poll author, don't you have a wee button to see a breakdown of votes? It might be very small!

Nein.... all votes are anonymous, I think...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Mine is suburban, with regular 'business' rides into Manchester. On the whole it's fine, far quicker than the car. The odd near miss, but you soon learn to read what's about to happen.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Based on my own commute:
    Fun and de-stressing. Sure there's the occasional muppet but on the whole I love it!

I guess you just get on with it and make it enjoyable in the end......! When I was commuting in London (maybe 10 years ago now!) - it was not the finest time I had, but I just got on with it - was not just the occasional muppet, was daily ignorance. I guess there were not many people on bikes then!
  • tardington
    tardie wrote:

In that case it's your fault for putting in an unhelpful choice. 8)
  • cee wrote:

besides...it means i am awake when i get to work and have forgotten all about work when i get home!

+1 although I did use the bus today. :oops:
    Commuter Bike ---- Marin Novato
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Rural commute along a busy main road (if that makes senses)

Total each of 30 miles, part driving part bike.

First leg in the car as it includes a 800ft climb, which is (EDIT currently) beyond my capabilities, second leg can be either 12 mile or 7 mile depending on where I decide to park.

Jealous of London Commuters as;

- you guys have a shorter total home to work distance,
    - have a ready made motivation as the bike is quicker
    - get to SCR and meet up
    - get involved with the 3 lap challenge
    - arent cycling along a 60mph road

However you miss out on

- views of the donegal hills every morning
    - getting to live and cycle in an 'area of outstanding natural beauty'

and have to deal with taxis, buses, lemming pedestrians etc
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    edited May 2009
    I posted elsewhere before I noticed this thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15329963#15329963

However you miss out on

- views of the donegal hills every morning
    the view from shooters Hill out across Central London ain't too bad. :P
    - getting to live and cycle in an 'area of outstanding natural beauty'
    Got one of them near me, unfortunately I work in the other direction.
  • lost_in_thought
    tardie wrote:
    tardie wrote:

In that case it's your fault for putting in an unhelpful choice. 8)

That seems fair to me!

• blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Fun and de-stressing. Sure there's the occasional muppet but on the whole I love it!

for me as well, I do get at least one muppet a day, but gives me something / someone to get happilly cross about, vent my spleen on and get on with the job of cycling.

Have been threatened with violence twice, ironically both by people who looked like they would have collapsed with a heart attack if they got out of their car seat, and both times for being in primary position approaching a "T" junction (slowing down their inevitable arrival to queue at said junction)
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    Seems pretty positive so far! :)

Same here. Setting asside white van drivers, I love commuting to work (SW London to Canary Wharf). The route back is very laid back along the river, you can't beat that!

"Never be tempted to race against a Brompton. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a clown bike."

By the way, I love your signature file! I get a kick out of racing Bromptons- cos I always win! Ha!! :wink:
  • Having not riden a bike for about 5 years I found it a bit daunting.

But after that its been great also knowing your doing something to helping yourself get fit helps I surpose. :D
    Commuter Bike ---- Marin Novato
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

EDIT: Sorry this is a bit city-commute-centric, but TBH that's rather the point...

Are you blaming me for this thread then? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I will put my hand up for one of the "None of the above".

Chapeau to all of you that city commute. I lived in London for all but the last 2 years of my life, and even in the car/tube it's a bit hairy.

If I lived/worked in London now though, I'd probably MTFU and ride in - I've got the bug.

Especially when you look out the window and the sun is shining.... :D:D
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • lost_in_thought
    edited May 2009

Are you blaming me for this thread then? :wink:

Not at all! I just thought when responding to you in the Road Rage thread, and reading a comment above about how reading it would put some off, that it might be good to point out that city commuting is actually pretty good fun!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    My commute is half rural A roads small towny village types and half city/suburbia I start feeling much safer when I get towards the city on the way in because the cycle /bus lanes start and the traffic is much slower.

It's all good though, ohhhhhhh yeaaah 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Fun and de-stressing...

Love it. Only have to get the train once to remind myself why I commute by bike. I have a great route and often find myself wondering why anyone wouldn't do it.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cee wrote:

My problem - and it's one I can't shake although I *do* (usually) enjoy my commute - is that I'm not happy about putting up with plonkers who could actually kill or cripple me. I am including myself in that category, too. So while I am glad I can cycle to work (though I also have the option of a genuinely decent train/tube commute), and enjoy much of it, I can't pretend it's de-stressing and I can't brush under the table the risks involved.

So I'm one of the thankfully small minority who don't find it a delightful breeze.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Its always a hoot - even in the rain and snow (OK, the wind can be a PITA :). I consider myself incredibly privileged to be able to cycle around London, passing landmarks that people travel from all over the world to see. I never feel in any danger and feel no need whatsover to have a Play Station. :)