Dougie Mac 110 miles this Sunday...advice

Hi guys

Just after a little advice, I am cycling the Dogie Mac 110miles on Sunday and the furthest I have every ridden is 70 miles and felt tired after that !! ( 4 hours or so )

I cycle four or so times a week, can cycle 40 miles without any bother so I think I have a decent base level of fitness.

Do you guys have any advice on what to eat the day or so prior to Sunday, what to eat before the run, what to eat during and when, and is my apprehension about completing the run normal ?

Another concern is saddle soreness being on the bike foe 7 or so hours, is there anything i can do to make this more bearable? I have some chamois cream and decent shorts, is that all i can do ?

many thanks all

phil

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    dont worry just do it it`s not that far

i`m doing 380 miels non stop starting 6AM saterday
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Do you guys have any advice on what to eat the day or so prior to Sunday
    A pasta feast always does the trick for me
    what to eat before the run
    Nice big bowl of porridge
    what to eat during and when
    Bananas, energy bars, gels, plenty of water - eat little and often - some people even use timers to remind them to drink every 10 mins, eat half an energy bar every 30 mins or so. You need to find what works for you as some products may not agree with your stomach, but clearly it's a bit late to experiment now.

On average you'll burn 700 cals/hour whilst riding, and your body can store around 2,000 cals so you can roughly work out how much you'll need to eat to complete the ride.
    and is my apprehension about completing the run normal ?
    Yes - it's quite a step up from 70 miles, but if you take it steady, don't get carried away with trying to follow a fast early pace, and keep eating and drinking, you'll be surprised at how far you can go.
    I have some chamois cream and decent shorts, is that all i can do?
    Pretty much - you will get sore if you are not used to hours in the saddle. Over time, the skin does get used to it, but it takes a while to adapt. Shift your position in and out of the saddle on a fairly regular basis to relieve the pressure.
  • Thanks Bronzie for you advice. Did the Pasta much on Saturday, jelly babies, nuts, two bananas and a cheesde sandwich during the ride.

Must admit I was well tired, did it in 7 and a bit hours, average of just under 15mph.

Was well\pleased when i got back !!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Nice one - well done!