Pedals - Keo or SPD-SL

topher9
topher9 Posts: 54
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Sorry, aware it's probably been raised about 50 times but going into clip-in for the first time. SPD-SL or Look?

Can't see too much difference - will probably go for entry level so 105 vs Easy really.

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have the sl's and they are great - but I started with standard SPD . Down to personal choice - you will probably curse what ever you buy for the first week - then wonder how you pedalled without them.
    Aren't the look more expensive ?
  • topher9
    the "Easy" ones are cheaper but I don't think they offer adjustment which is perhaps an issue. I think I will probably go with the sl option.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    topher9 wrote:
    the "Easy" ones are cheaper but I don't think they offer adjustment which is perhaps an issue. I think I will probably go with the sl option.

What are the easy ones? The basic ones (R540) certainly do offer an adjustment.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360011753/
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I have had both the SPD-SLs and Carbon Keos in the last few years. I much prefer the Keos.
  • topher9
    By "Easy", I was meaning the Keo Easy which are the entry-level ones.
  • doktorsteve
    doktorsteve Posts: 112
    You would have to get the Keo Classic to get adjustment of the tension. You might find that Keo Easy feel a bit loose after a while.
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    SPD-Sl are easier to clip into than the Keos but not much difference really. My cheap £40 spd-sl pedals have lasted 18 months with no problems.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    not probbaly what you want to hear, but what about Speedplay pedals. I moved over to them from Keo's classics recently. I think their great! And in the long run (I suppose as others have said) they will pay for themselves?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Keo Classics about £40 on ebay :wink:
  • Marcosplace
    Marcosplace Posts: 103
    rjh299 wrote:
    SPD-Sl are easier to clip into than the Keos but not much difference really. My cheap £40 spd-sl pedals have lasted 18 months with no problems.

I agree. No probs with these.
  • topher9
    Cheers guys,

Have gone for the SLs - seems to be as good as anything and adjustable which I think it important for a first-timer - got some brand new with cleats for under £30 which is cheap as chips.

Once again, thanks for your advice - much appreciated.