Confidence?

kell
kell Posts: 32
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
I'm quite new to all this so bear with me.
Last Friday I had my first fall from my bike which involved a right turn and some loose road surface. It resulted in some heavy bruising on my right leg, slight damage to my handle bar and most importantly a great chunk of my confidence seems to have disappeared somewhere!
Fresh from the bike shop, straightened out I went out on my bike but felt like a jumpy little bunny upon it! This is very frustrating as I was going great guns before.
Has anyone else felt like this after coming off their bike?
Any tips for confidence building?
Fingers crossed,
Kell xx

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    drop your saddle slightly - and go out when its quiet - theres no quick fix - but perhaps you can put this time to good use - by concentrating on pedalling technique, or hill work,
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Your confidence will return soon enough. I once suffered a blow-out at 50kph and did well to stay upright. I was cautious on the descents for a long time afterwards but now I just go for it every time.

Cheers
    PEdro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    This probably aint what you want to hear but ... just get back on the bike and get out there. You'll soon realise you were probably just unlucky in your fall.

I had a heavy fall just a couple of months after taking up cycling and bust up my elbow quite badly ... to extent I could barely feel my fingers for 2-3 days. It all sorted itself out after a couple of weeks but I kept putting off getting back on the bike, finding one excuse or another. In the end I just resolved to get on with it and after a couple of nervy rides my confidence came back and I was enjoying it again.

Suggestions:

get back on the bike as soon as poss
    try and go out in company ... it'll take your mind off it
    use stand on pedals for a little while (if it improves your confidence)
    try and enjoy every ride
    remember, your confidance WILL return.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    It sounds like the road surface was the culprit.

Keep an eye on what's coming up and ride accordingly, e.g. take extra care on gravel, etc.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    kell wrote:
    I'm quite new to all this so bear with me.
    Last Friday I had my first fall from my bike which involved a right turn and some loose road surface. It resulted in some heavy bruising on my right leg, slight damage to my handle bar and most importantly a great chunk of my confidence seems to have disappeared somewhere!
    Fresh from the bike shop, straightened out I went out on my bike but felt like a jumpy little bunny upon it! This is very frustrating as I was going great guns before.
    Has anyone else felt like this after coming off their bike?
    Any tips for confidence building?
    Fingers crossed,
    Kell xx

Don't worry about it, most will fall at some point. It hurts like a bugger but get back on the bike, take it easy, think ahead (I still get caught out with my clip ins), but most of all - RELAX when you ride.

It takes time, nothing else. Oh and a bit effort. Then there is nothing else. Honestly!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I am one of those that the more they fall, the more they want to get out there and go even further.
    For me falling is confidence *building*.
    Infact, I make a point, the very first day in the ski season, to fall, not badly, but intentionally. It releases some sort of chemicals in my body which somehow loosen my sense of fear and allows me to go faster. It's like if the fear of falling, which is holding me back, suddenly disappears.
    I have always had that when skiing, cycling, and car racing.
    It does not mean I am any better at it, it just means I am enjoying it more *because* I fell and got up again. Like proving a point to myself.
    I look at my bruises and scars and think "Hey, I survived! I cheated death once again!"
    It might be that the natural painkiller (adrenalin?) is so addictive.
    Or I might just be weird!
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Everyone crashes. Its just the way of things. Get out on that bike and ride~!
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    It does take some time but it will come back to you as I had the same thing, coming off on a corner and just missing going under the front wheels of a car ( sharp corner ).

Was happy to have missed it, just and on real damage to the bike or me.

I am now riding better than I was then, so stick at it :)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hello Kell

I just wanted to agree with the other posters. Getting back on as soon as is the best way otherwise it takes even longer to build up your confidence. It happened to me but I took a long time to ride again (bike became household furniture for a time). Finally started commuting to work back in September and I love it despite the occasional :shock: moments by vehicles and, sometimes, other cyclists.

You'll get better :)
  • Rev\'d Gatlin
    Rev\'d Gatlin Posts: 190
    Worstward Ho (1983)

* Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
    Samuel Beckett
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • What would the more experienced riders out there suggest less experienced riders look out for?
    Wet manhole covers, wet diesel spills, dogs, cats and sheep, etc?

I have ridden a lot of MTB over the years and have a good eye for trail stuff that could catch me out, but fast road work is a whole different story!
    Trying my best to do 300 miles a month on and off road.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Everything!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    wet leaves on the road
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    I had an accident about 10 days ago, wheel got suck in a drain and over the handle bars I went. Like you cuts etc, I felt a bit unsure about going out the next day.

However 20 mins on the bike and I forgot all about it and did 50 miles.

Sounds easy to say but just get back on asap and all will be fine, you were just unlucky.

However there is nothing wrong with being a bit aprehensive it will make you more aware.

Good luck

Flyer
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    I think the best cure for this is simple saddle time.

I've taken the odd nasty fall or two, and once recovered enough I'm back on the bike. A bit timid at first, but it wears off.

Stick with it!
  • Hi Kelly

I came off two weeks ago doing just the same and that was down to a slow puncture on my front tyre.

The whole thing was recorded at work on the CCTV and I keep looking at how slow it all was. Even so it takes longer at 45 to recover. (years that is, not MPH!)

A week later I was riding down hill head down going as fast as possible.

The posts above are correct and you would do well to go out with some company.

You will be back into it in no time.

Enjoy yourself.
    Divorce is expensive but offers great value for money...
  • paul_or
    paul_or Posts: 156
    The thing that knocked my confidence was using SPD pedals on my road bike. I was new to the idea and went too slowly, tried to put my foot down and.......ouch!

I persevered for about 3 months but the fear got to me and I found myself constantly worrying about getting my foot out 100 yards before a junction. It was hampering my enjoyment of cycling.

About 2 months ago I re fitted the aluminium trap pedals with toeclips, and since then I'm totally confident once more. I haven't seen a noticeable decrease in performance either in terms of average speed and fitness.

So find your own comfort zone in terms of setup, seat height, position, etc, and enjoy!
    visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk
    It's generally non cycling friends that point out the dangers to me - often as I'm recounting hitting 45mph downhill with a smile on my face. But what if you come off? Next ride I'm sometimes a little jumpy, but like everyone here has mentioned - time is a quick healer. My tip is to go out early when the roads are quiet and you can ease back into it without pressure. Also try a local loop rather than go off for miles - I sometimes find it easier to know I'm only 20 minutes from home if I want to call it a day. Good luck.
  • kell
    kell Posts: 32
    Thank You all so much for the advice!!!!!
    Have been on 2 x 10 miles and am planning a 30mile tomorrow, (time allowing!)
    Totally confident again! Its good to know evereyone has this from time to time to.

Kell xx