Commute on Expensive MTB - am I target for thieves?

Shakman
Shakman Posts: 12
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
I want to commute to work for the next 3 months before I move. I have a £1500 Specialized MTB with road tyres and this makes a great commuter for me.

However, I am very worried about security. The bike will be parked outside on the Bike Railings next to Liverpool Street Station (Central London). I am willing to invest in expensive D-Locks or chains, but what is the probability it will get nicked ? I know there are lots of CCTV cameras and alot of police around the city, but my bike will stand out among the other tatty commuters. I dont have the space at home to buy another bike and also will be moving further away from work in 3 months time so dont want to invest into a cheap road bike.

Anyone willing to share any experiences ?

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Sorry I have to say this, but very very high no matter what locks you put on it.

Seriously, get a cheap commuter, you'll find the space.

I speak as somebody that's had a bike nicked from the third floor of a busy office.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I don't leave my old MTB in public places like that - only works bike stands, and use two very secure locks. I wouldn't leave a £1500 bike in public.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Don't do it, either it will be stolen or vandalised , instead of buying expensive locks get a cheap hack bike and save your pride and joy for fun and leisure.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Can I suggest the following at Liverpool Street:

On bishopsgate, go past liverpool street station with the station on your left. Take the first left at the lights (primrose street), then turn immediately left into what looks like a private drive for a company. If you get to the ramp into the station you've gone too far.

Wave cheerfully at the security guard and he will open the barrier, then follow the footpath round to your right. There you will find relatively secure bike parking that's not overused and is secluded away from the public eye.

If asked, you work for ABN AMRO.
  • Shakman
    Much appreciated "lost in thought" but unfortunately am at other side of Liverpool St towards Moorgate side.

So the geneal consensus is "Don't" :(

I wonder how many people out there would pay a small amount a week for secure parking.
  • dont know that area but i you cannot get a cheap commuter or road bike try using 2 new york locks with a seven foot kryptonite cable wrapped through the frame and remove your seatpost and seat .replace your q realease"s make sure its locked to something that cannot move .
    sadly this will not stop a determined thief
    ive seen a bike in edinburgh locked to a railing with a new york lock on it and they obviously couldnt get it off so they buckled both wheels :(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Shakman wrote:
    Much appreciated "lost in thought" but unfortunately am at other side of Liverpool St towards Moorgate side.

What's a 2 minute walk worth against reducing the likelihood of getting your bike nicked? Most people have to walk further than that from their tube station. That's an excellent tip off which you really ought to try- even if you do find a magic combination of locks to protect your bike, how secure are the railings the bike is attached to?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Shakman
    The railings are very secure .... they are the large stainless steel hoops/rectangular bike stands fitted to the middle of the pavements by the council.

One of the reasons to cycle to work is to save journey time. Although I appreciate the ABN Amro lockup, to be honest I would feel uncomfortable pretending to be someone who I am not.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok as you seem to be instant on taking the bike. here is a test for you.

Lock your bike up at home. then with a multi tool and a pair of wire cutters see what you can remove.

caused that is what will go.

gears, brakes, stem.bars, seat post etc

get a rat bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • more uncomfortable than ringing the police for a crime log number, then ringing your insurance company, that is a fantastic tip off. i don't think there is a more suitable answer other than a hack bike or a folder.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • mountainroadie
    mountainroadie Posts: 244
    edited May 2009
    i use this method it works for me put the d lock through the chainstays then put the hoop on the d lock then lock it now feed the cable through the front triangle of the frame wrapping it around something that cannot move .now put the other d lock through the front wheel and the other end of the cable hoop onto the lock before locking it between the front wheel and the downtube .
    you now have a d lock through both chainstays and the backwheel
    and one through the front wheel and frame. this would put thiefs off {Too much hassle}
    i do this with my bike it takes me about three minutes to unlock it all and ive got the keys !
    ive seen bikes secured to a railing with a d lock through the toptube of a bike
    tut -tut people :roll:
  • that is true nick, i've seen it near china town in manchester next to yates wine lodge, some street bike railings there and i've seen cannibalized frames nicely locked to the immoveable railings, it shouldn't happen but unfortunately it does. what a gutter coming back to that!!!
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Shakman wrote:
    I wonder how many people out there would pay a small amount a week for secure parking.

You have got to wonder if it's something that NCP is missing out on (maybe worth writing to it to ask if it's considered or would consider offering secure cycle parking as a service?).

Have to say that there are a lot of bikes left on the rack by the ice rink in Broadgate circle that don't seem to get interfered with.

But none of them are 1,500 quids worth by the looks of it.
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    Not using my bike in the City, but walking past both of those places AND the bike store at London Bridge and Brighton station I can say that a lovely, clean, expensive looking bike will stick out like a wedding car in the middle of a rubbish dump.

Don't do it.
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    prj45 wrote:
    You have got to wonder if it's something that NCP is missing out on (maybe worth writing to it to ask if it's considered or would consider offering secure cycle parking as a service?).

If it's anything like what they consider secure bike parking in Brighton then I wouldn't bother!

When the government comes to town I'm not allowed to take my bike into the conference centre anymore. Instead the local NCP carpark provides 'secure' parking....... A U-shaped piece of scaff tube that has a bucket shaped lump of concrete at each end...... :cry: When I asked them if I could secure my bike to the chunky metal fence I was told the lock would be cut off and the bike removed if I did that! :x
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    prj45 wrote:
    Shakman wrote:

I've put an awful lot of thought and time into this along with a friend who is a commercial surveyor. Our conclusion was that the numbers do not add up. It's very very hard to find suitable space (and you'll need a lot of space) in central London and the setup/running costs are prohibitive. Pity really as I'm sure the demand is there, particulalrly in the West End where very few offices offer any sort of facilities for cyclists at all.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Lock your bike up at home. then with a multi tool and a pair of wire cutters see what you can remove.

This is exactly the issue - decent mountain bikes have lots of components to unbolt. And have you checked the price of Shimano spares these days? P1ss-taking barstewards.

One of the attractions of riding fixie/ss around London is that there is so little to nick.

I'd get on ebay and pick up something for less than £100. YOu can probably sell it on for what you paid in 3 months.

Cheers,
    J
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Onyourbike in London Bridge have a 24hour secure parking facility in their store, but they have a lot of floor space compared to most bike stores in London. They are the only one I know of.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'd agree totally with the other posters

get a cheap bike to commute on - as well as the hassle and disappointment of losing your prized ride, the cost of loads of locks could end up being the same cost of a commuter hack and a sensible price lock to go with it
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    If you do want to lock it, basic rules:

1. find the most public and visible space you can.
    2. don't leave it there once the foot traffic has died down.
    3. strongest D lock /chain you can find.
    4. take the front wheel off.
    5. lock the frame + rear wheel, and front wheel to something immoveable.
    6. remove all lights, computers, saddle bags.
    7. get a quick release seatpost clamp and take the seatpost with you when you leave it.

I sometimes (or, rarely, and only when I have to) leave mine locked up outside. Follow those rules and you reduce the chances of problems.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    prj45 wrote:
    Shakman wrote:

I've put an awful lot of thought and time into this along with a friend who is a commercial surveyor. Our conclusion was that the numbers do not add up. It's very very hard to find suitable space (and you'll need a lot of space) in central London and the setup/running costs are prohibitive. Pity really as I'm sure the demand is there, particulalrly in the West End where very few offices offer any sort of facilities for cyclists at all.

What sort of setup did you consider?

Even just a load of secure railings with a security guard would probably be enough to put off most bike thieves.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    For the sake of the bike, please don't do it!

Never mind a locked bike, I've often wondered if I'm being a bit silly just cycling though South London on a £2.5K MTB, especially on the commute home on those dark winter evenings? The thought of a puncture in certain parts fills me with dread!

Are there any incidents of someone being attacked for an expensive bike?
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    In 1991 I was mugged in Manchester for a £450 Kona MTB.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    You could buy a house in manchester for £450 in 1991 :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Is it a total no-no to take the bike into your place of work? I do, after an 'agreement to disagree' about it with a facilities person, and now just bring it into my office. No-one even notices it now. Worth trying. You never know.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    nicklouse wrote:

get a rat bike.

Some cyclists are a bunch of thieving......
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dilemna wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

get a rat bike.

Some cyclists are a bunch of thieving......

or i have seen too many stripped bikes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    PLEASE never forget we are surrounded by people who's 'job' on a 24 hour basis is to steal anything and everything and just because its 'locked' doesn't mean shit to them. These people are driven by desperation and thus have become excellent at their jobs usually built on large number of years experience. Don't do it, trust me it will go or be damaged. Not trying to be paranoid just facts based on 'experiences'.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Greg66 wrote:
    If you do want to lock it, basic rules:

1. find the most public and visible space you can.
    2. don't leave it there once the foot traffic has died down.
    3. strongest D lock /chain you can find.
    4. take the front wheel off.
    5. lock the frame + rear wheel, and front wheel to something immoveable.
    6. remove all lights, computers, saddle bags.
    7. get a quick release seatpost clamp and take the seatpost with you when you leave it.

I sometimes (or, rarely, and only when I have to) leave mine locked up outside. Follow those rules and you reduce the chances of problems.

You see, I think that just leads to further cannibalisation of the bike.

Punters see a bike half there, then take the rest . :roll:

It also draws more attention to it as being valuable.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Don't do it - it will get nicked.
    I had two bikes stolen within a month. The first was my trusty old MTB, stolen from the underground carpark in the office. Facilities "couldn't get the CCTV to work" and took weeks to review the footage - never found anything.

The second, bought with the insurance money, was an upgraded MTB. Took it to the pub one Sunday night, locked it to a bus shelter opposite, sat at the window to keep an eye on it....and it still got nicked. Lock bust, bike gone.

Reported both to the police, frankly they don't give a toss, they just give you a crime number to claim off the insurance.

I now use an ancient rigid MTB as my town bike. It looks like a pile of poo, deliberately, but with upgraded transmission & slicks rides quite well. It cost me £40, with the upgrades maybe £130 in total, and has got me to/from work and all round town for the last 4 years. Until recently it sported a metal shopping basket zip tied to the rear rack which muust be worth another -100 desirability points :lol:
    Misguided Idealist