Why are they called clipless? When clearly there is a clip.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Clipless pedals and shoes, why? Why are they refered to as this?

Clearly the function of a clipless pedal is to attach, or clip, a shoe onto a specially made pedal with the appropriate shoe.

People actually refer to the action (above) as 'to clip-in', 'clipping-in' or 'clipped-in' yet still refer to the pedal as clipless.

The two term clipless pedal and the action 'to clip-in' contradict each other because to clip-in it implies a clip is involved. Clipless implies that there is no clip at all.

I can understand the phrase clipless moment because a person hasn't managed to engage the clip mechanism but to then generally refer to the pedal as clip-less doesn't make sense.

In all seriousness explain this to me please?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Because they don't have toe-clips, unlike the older pedal they replaced. It's an historical hangover basically.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I think that this is precisely the sort of thing that Wikipedia is for.

Flat ----> Toe clips and straps
    > toe clip-less
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Are they strictly speaking CLEATED pedals? Cleats are the bits you attach to your shoe, aren't they?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Isn't the cleat the bit that's on your shoe, that attaches to the pedal, rather than the bit on the pedal? I say this with absolutely no research or knowledge... :oops:

And yeah, clipless due to an absence of toe clips....

Simples!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yes, it is confusing and contradictory.

Back in the dark ages, cyclists used metal toe clips and straps. "Clipless" pedals were invented with shoe cleats which allowed the shoe and pedal to be connected without these metal toe clips, hence "clipless".

I suppose, when using these clipless pedals, it would be more correct to say something like "cleating in" and "cleatless moments".
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    tardie wrote:
    Are they strictly speaking CLEATED pedals? Cleats are the bits you attach to your shoe, aren't they?
    True. But you'd also have cleats on racing shoes in pedals with toe-clips... and a lot more knee trouble ;)

Edit: example toe-clip cleat: http://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat.html
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    But I thought the point of old stylee toe clips was you didn't need cleats?

Btw my Tricross came with toeclips. I mainly remember cos Edin Bikes fitted one upside down. :evil:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    tardie wrote:
    But I thought the point of old stylee toe clips was you didn't need cleats?

Btw my Tricross came with toeclips. I mainly remember cos Edin Bikes fitted one upside down. :evil:
    Need, no. Until you use road shoes with very slippery soles... the cleats keep the shoe in the right place for optimal power transfer (or some such guff)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    That website is funny.
    We like toe clips, one of the main reasons is because you don't need to have holes in your overshoes for cleats.

Here, buy our cleats for toe clips.
    I'm paraphrasing of course.

:D:D:D
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur